logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Thread Like Summary
Neil H, Tedzwedz
Total Likes: 3
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Tedzwedz
Tedzwedz
Hello,

I've just joined as I have recently bought a used 557 power amp off a guy who has had three in his home cinema system from new, nice chap.

Can I leave the amp on all the time if I am playing it every few days?

Any ideas where I could find period reviews of the amp (Hifi choice, what Hifi, Hifi World, Stereophile etc), it seems to be just before the net age?

Best Edward
Liked Replies
by Jeremy A-H
Jeremy A-H
IIRC Meridian Power Amps go into a standby mode when not in use, so it was recommended to leave them running unless not in use for a longer period of time. You can turn them off, but I suspect this will shorten the life of the unit and sound quality will suffer as it has to warm up each time.
1 member likes this
by Ashley Canning
Ashley Canning
In the late 1990s I had a 502, 508, 557 x 2 with Proac Response 2.5 speakers. It was a sublime system and still sounds fantastic to this day. I’ve moved onto DSP speakers for my main system now but have never been able to bring myself to sell the old system although I did give one of the 557s to my brother.

I can recommend adding a second 557 and bi-amping. I originally ran them in bridged mode assuming that the extra power was important. I’ll never forget the evening I spent bodging some Y-shaped interconnects to allow bi-amping and being completely blown away by the sudden improvement in sound quality. My Father was with me at the time and he couldn’t believe the difference either, eureka moments like that have been rare in my hifi journey.

Oh, and I used to leave mine switched on 24/7 unless away on holiday etc. I'm sure I read somewhere at the time that they were designed to be left on.
1 member likes this
by Nice But Dim
Nice But Dim
Hi Ed,

I'm the guy who sold you the amp!

Hope you're enjoying it as much as I did.

George
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Jackson, Tennant, Colin Triggs), 631 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.360s Queries: 12 (0.348s) Memory: 0.7246 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 18:26:58 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS