Originally Posted by Custom HT
make sure of the following, this is from my email to you:

it looks like someone had went into the analog audio setup menu and turned the sub and center speakers off and messed up a bunch of stuff, I corrected this and the mod is working perfect, all speakers must be set to on, large, same distance(10ft) and 0db trim for the SPDIF mod to work correctly

Interestingly, Jim already pointed out that the BDP-83 returned to him with the settings screwed up again:
Originally Posted by JimK
It arrived back today, (appreciate the Sat delivery, Gary). Out of the box, loud static as before on Leonard Cohen`s London concert CD on all speakers.

The speaker settings still were mixed up with center and sub off and distances at 6 12 and 10 ft. I reset all speakers to large, 10ft and 0 trim. No change in static.
It's possible that settings are lost if power has been disconnected for a certain length of time.

BTW someone had suggested trying to set the maximum LPCM rate to 96kHz: my understanding is that this wouldn't have helped Jim as this only specifies the max rate for the HDMI output. If the source material was 192kHz and LPCM decoding was specified, 192kHz would always come out of the 4xS/PDIF jacks no matter what the maximum LPCM rate was.

Of course Jim was only playing a CD so I have no idea what the problem is. I was the unfortunate recipient of the only modded Oppo player ever to have failed -- HDMI video didn't work, though everything else was working -- but despite that SACD played as high-res PCM through the 4xS/PDIF jacks was divine! I thus have high confidence in Gary's mods.