I've been experimenting with my system this week (after I solved the dynamics problem with the forum's help) and have yet to hear any harshness on any media while using the modded BD 83. I have 3x5kdsp's 96/24 at the front, 2xm30's surrounds and 2 HSU subs. While this system is used primarily for HT I do listen to SACD's DVD-A's and CD's. If anything, the sound is a touch laid back--certainly not harsh. Currently I'm running the mains set to small and playing with the crossovers, trying to get the best integration with the subs possible. But with the L&R set to large I didn't hear any harshness.

A few weeks ago I visited JimK and brought along my Shawn modded 980H. We played it through his 861 and didn't hear anything approaching harshness. We AB'd with his 800 on CD's and while we did hear a bit of a difference I don't think we gave much of a nod to either one.

Ken


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.