Originally Posted by 5imon
Simon

This was a great heads up review.

I am very interested in the Oppo as a transport for CD playback, you have given it a rave review. Can you refine your review of the CD playback, I was concidering a G08, possibly Meridian graded stock, but would sooner get an Oppo which is cheaper and does many other formats of Optical Disks (More icing on the cake).

Have you compared to a lesser player than the 800, and If it was close to the 800 will it at least be as good as a G08 in real world listening.

Anyone else please jump in with your tests or thoughts on this.

Kind regards Simon

I spent quite a bit of time comparing CD performance on the Oppo with my 800 and Denon players. I remain of the opinion that the 800 is the superior player - and it should be, given the price - but the Oppo performed really very well. Certainly the equal of the Denon player, and really close to the 800. My only quibble, really, is that on occassion the Oppo seems to impart a slightly harsh edge to CD. I need to live with these players for a bit to see if that remains true, but for now I will stick to the 800 for CD.

The Oppo remains a superb Bluray player and, depite a glitch in SACD playback as noted in this trhead, my new reference for that format as well.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.