I got by modded Oppo BPD-83 back from Gary this past Thurs... I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but I wanted to post my first impressions... more to come later.

1) the quality of the mod is excellent (heavy duty gold connectors, etc...)

2) I confirmed that CD, DVD-A, SACD, DVD (DTS and Dolby multichannel) and Bluray (only Dolby TruHD so far) sources all work flawlessly

3) the sound is fantastic... I need to listen a bunch more, but to my ear I hear no difference between my G98 and the Oppo for CD, DVD-A and DTS playback... there could of course be subtle differences, but that doesn't matter if it sounds right... and it does. SACD is pure and sweet (just the way I like it)... for Dolby TruHD I've only watched/listened to "Batman Begins"... really dynamic sound. I'm going to look for some TruHD music on Bluray... anyone have any good suggestions?

4) upscaling of DVD video is as good or better then the G98

5) Bluray video is terrific, though I'm going to hold back a bit since my set only accepts 1080i/60, so I know I'm not seeing the "real deal".

6) In addition to the MCH digital connection, I connected the Oppo via a normal SPDIF port so that the 2 channel DSP processing modes (such as Trifield) could be applied to 2 channel sources... because there is no COMMS connection to the Oppo the G98 can't 'know' the type of source that is incoming over the multi-channel digital... it assumes 5.1 and only offers the multi-channel DSP modes... no big deal since either path is equally good for 2 channel.


Setup details:

1) Oppo is set to downmix 7.1 to 5.1 (you do this in the analog setup section)

2) Oppo has bass management disabled and the distance settings all set to 0

3) Meridian multi-channel digital port enabled with NO COMMS port (connected via Meridian supplied cables)

4) Meridian digital input with NO COMMS port

5) subs in stereo config, bass crossed over at 58 hz, room correction applied


My Equipment:

Oppo BDP-83, Meridian G98DH

Meridian G68J

Bryston 9BSST

Front speakers - Tannoy TD8, Center - Tannoy Eryis DCC, Surrounds - Tannoy Eryis DC1
Dual Subwoofers (stereo configuration) - Martin Logan Abyss

Cables - Analysis Plus (Oval-IN interconnects between the G68 and the Bryston, Silver Oval for fronts and center, Clear Oval for the surrounds, Sub Oval interconnects for the subs and a Digital Oval cable for the normal SPDIF connection)... power cords are all stock... Meridian supplied digital interconnects for the multi-channel digital hookup...

56" JVC IL-HDA (about 3 years old)

everything plugged into a Furman Elite-15 PFi