|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735 |
Needle dropping into the Hard drive could be time consuming. Don't tweak with noise reduction or click supression. Just nip and tuck , leave plenty of headroom, normalise and don't crush harmonics (check waveforms) Might be easier to go directly to CD-r and then import, you then have a 'safety'.
Roger
518, 568.2, D6Ks, D6KC, iMac dual core, iTunes 10.1 (lossless), Apogee Duet, Kuro 500A, Logic Studio, Sound Devices 702.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 32
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 32 |
Hello all Thanks for your input. I plan on using my ARC REF3 to send the balanced analog signal to the Audiophile board for digitizing at 24/192. I want lots of head room so I can play later with the recording. Most of the CD's I have purchased that are from analog masters other than MFSL & DCC and even some of those, sound compressed and shallow compared to the same music on vynil. So I want to see if I can do better. I also collect Acetates and want to record those at the highest level I can. If I tried to do this with the G68 I believe the best I could get from an unbalanced analog input to the zone 2 digital out is 16/44.1. That would not be enough for me. That is why I purchased the computer board. But I did expect to be able to send the 24/192 to the G68 and here it. I do know that it is over kill but wanted to do it anyway. I did this to make a music server but now I am going to try to record onto a DVD at 24/192 to see if that works. I had heard that Bob Stewart had said that you cannot hear the difference, but then why do they upsample 16/44.1 to 24/88.1, 24/96 or 24/192 if we cannot here it. Also then why DVD Audio for that matter. A little tidbit of information I thought you might like to know. The Library of Congress does not feel that converting their vast recorded material to CD or DVD will sound as good as it is in it`s current form so they are only doing what they must until a better form of recording comes along.
Norton G68AXV
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639 |
Originally posted by hevac1: I had heard that Bob Stewart had said that you cannot hear the difference, but then why do they upsample 16/44.1 to 24/88.1, 24/96 or 24/192 if we cannot here it. Also then why DVD Audio for that matter. I think the answer to the first part would be to get the 24 bit depth as that is very audible; As JK mentioned going beyond the 50-60kHz level is a convienance of hardware. An answer to the second part (DVD-A) would be to also get multi-channel along with 24/96.... Sounds like a great project... would be interesting to hear about your results... ken
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1 |
My memory is going! I was sure the AD1852 was a 96k DAC. I had looked it up before. Sorry about that! It is a 192k DAC.
Ron
HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
An' 192k, that's like one more than 96k - right.
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606 |
Ron: Well we'll just say you wuz recovering from St. Patrick's Day festivities when you made your error Best Regards,
Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training. --- 861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053 Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,053 Likes: 1 |
Originally posted by kenliles: Seems like I recall Bob Stewart saying for 24bit depth, anything over 48kHz is really not audible regardless of source... In "Coding High Quality Digital Audio" by J. Robert Stuart ( http://www.Meridian-audio.com/w_paper/Coding2.PDF ) you can have a read. 20/66,15 and 16/96 could be some possibilities...
HD621, G98DH, G68ADV, Bc Acoustiqe ACT A3, 5200C DSP33, NuForce Reference 9 monoblocks, 2x SB3's, Velodyne DD-15 & DD-12 Subwoofers and a Meridian sub.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735 |
I also collect Acetates and want to record those at the highest level I can.
Acetates contain fast transients and require max head room. To compress would be unwise. They also have limited play life.
Needle drops will be noiser than the cds and inner grooves will be more distorted and bass light.
Even at 16bit 44.1 you would have a dynamic of 96db and with a 20db headroom still have 76 db of range to cope with a 33.1/3 vinyl transfer. This will be way below your TT rumble figures.
Library of Congress must have rooms full of vinyl. 78's and polyester tape. My Edison cylinders from the 1900's are still in good condition as is my collection of 60's 1/4".
Roger
518, 568.2, D6Ks, D6KC, iMac dual core, iTunes 10.1 (lossless), Apogee Duet, Kuro 500A, Logic Studio, Sound Devices 702.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639 |
great link - thanks Tommy
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 1 |
Originally posted by John Kotches: Ron:
Well we'll just say you wuz recovering from St. Patrick's Day festivities when you made your error
Best Regards, Yeah! I must have got stuck at 96 bottles of beer on the wall and passed out or something.
HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606 |
In Bob's paper, there are a couple of points that (I think) have been overlooked. 1) You want to make sure that the channel is completely transparent for even the individuals with the highest acuity ever recorded. This means the actualized bit depth, ie the clean portion of the signal has to be between 20 and 21 bits to do just that. 2) You have to allow for processing, which eats up 1-2 bits, so your capture has to be 20-21 +2. For storage convenience, a 24-bit channel is specified. It isn't just about dynamic range; it's about insuring that the channel remains transparent through all processing steps from capture to output at the consumer end. Hope this helps Best,
Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training. --- 861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639 |
great point John... thanks for the clarification.
Ron - some 'friend' told me the green beer improves memory... didn't work for me either if I remember right...
ken
|
|
|
|
2 members (Grog, Colin Triggs),
570
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,194
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|