logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
I have been tweaking my A500 position and toe-in. There's a discernible improvement in the bass. I'd like to improve more without having to do a "Drunkard's Walk" (apt for me, but in this sense means moving them at random in random directions and listening to what happens).

The A500s are now about 30cms away from the rear wall (used to be about 10cm away) and toed-in to the listening position (used to be firing straight). Suggestions for better would be gratefully received. Those that don't get the thumbs-down from the boss will be tested smile

I have also had some advice from Herbie's about the gliders suggested here on the other post and will be ordering.

[Linked Image]

Happy listening smile and thanks in advance.


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
The biggest improvement to my A500’s was first adding a Meridian 555 to my 551, then VanDenHul Teatrack cables.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by spinaltap
The biggest improvement to my A500’s was first adding a Meridian 555 to my 551, then VanDenHul Teatrack cables.
Hmmm, now there's a thought. Would have to negotiate for a bigger rack, though smile As it happens, I was reading the A500's manual just now and it recommends 551 for the tweeter and 555 for the bass (makes sense).

I was reading the manual for location advice and it says:
Quote
Avoid placing the speakers in the corners of the room. The speakers can be used facing directly forwards as they have good dispersion, however the best stereo image will be formed with them pointing inwards slightly towards your listening position. Tip: The A500 has been designed to play near walls. The best site depends upon your actual room but start with the speakers about 50cm from the rear wall and at least 50 cm from any side walls.
So some more tweakery guidance there then.

Last edited by Mike_500; 2020-01-22 13:39.

*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Likes: 15
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
Likes: 15
Hi Mike

Just another possible thought - Isotek make or made a test CD for system set up.

I found it useful especially when I was running Quad 63’s as a final in room tweak.

It does mean potentially moving the speakers and there was from memory, less of a specific focus on bass, although the disc has some tracks at the end which are felt to be good bass tests.

Enjoy!

Alastair


Main: Marantz SR8015 / Polk Audio Reserve R500 / Bang & Olufsen Beolab 4 / Arendal 1961 1V / Oppo 203 / WiiM Pro Plus / Apple TV 4K

Spare: G68ADV, HD621,DSP5000.2 & DSP5000.2 HC. ATC SCM20PSL, C3C. Rotel RMB-1077. Bang & Olufsen Beolab 1 & Beolab 7.1. Kef Q150. Dynaudio Xeo 2.
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
If your listening position is from where you took the pic it looks pretty good, just a very small adjustment (toe out) on the RH speaker c/w moving RH towards fireplace by say 2cm could be perfect, but I doubt it will make a discernible audio difference, only a visual balance.
Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by spinaltap
The biggest improvement to my A500’s was first adding a Meridian 555 to my 551, then VanDenHul Teatrack cables.
You just cost me money smile It was one of those weird synchronicity things. After reading your post and the manual, I stuck Meridian 555 into eBay and there was one. Just bought it. (Asked permission for a new rack first, though.)

And thanks to Hector and Alastair for their suggestions also. Next steps:
  • order Herbie's Gliders to make position tweak easier
  • tweak speaker position as recommended
  • order some Kontak cleaner (haven't cleaned the contacts before and this seems to be recommended)
  • look for bigger equipment rack
  • change bi-wired apeaker connects to bi-amped
  • RTFM
  • check connect leads needed for 551 <> 555 comms
  • consider servicing 555 before installation
  • all leading to enjoy the sound smile
  • thank the boss
  • oh, and PS, will now have to get the Linn upgraded.
  • do all these things one-at-a-time with A/B listening tests (of course I won't - just bung 'em in and convince myself of the major upgrade smile )


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Those recesses behind the speakers are just perfect for a pair of GIK Monster traps... in you chosen colour of course.🤪


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Just looked them up. Would like to stay married smile (we redecorated when we bought the house in 2017 so now is not the time).

Just got told I could buy the 555 so will stick on that for now smile


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Last time I looked, VanDenHul TeaTrack (bi-amp) cables were £38/metre plus professional termination.

I added VanDenHul D103 interconnects between Meridian components, too.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
I have bi-wired speaker cables (yes, from 1999 but they cost £100 then! Soniclink Ast 75) so I shall first try to add banana plugs to convert to full bi-amped.

Since I need (due to routing over the fireplace) 8m for the RH, I should keep signal path the same both channels so £38 x 16 plus plugs is perhaps a later step.


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by Mike_500
Just got told I could buy the 555 so will stick on that for now smile
Then I remembered about speaker cables and interconnects. Eeek. My existing Soniclink AST75 speaker cables are bi-wired so thought aha! Researched a bit and found the designer, Graham, also designed Black Rhodium. Popped on their site, asked if conversion to bi-amped was possible. Very helpful Roger said yes, just split the amp ends (where the 2 cables are combined in 1 banana plug for each channel) and add spade connectors and job's a good 'un. So I bought a pair of Opus interconnects for good measure. OK I'm sure VdH and others are up in the audiophile firmament so I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just budget conscious smile

So kudos to them for being helpful (he used to work for Sevenoaks and had sold 500 series stuff back in the day).

I then went searching for audio-quality spade terminal and result! I discovered that Nakamichi made them - for the young amongst you, Nakamichi made the most audiophile cassette deck there was back then and I salivated over one (far outside any reasonable budget). Found a review here if you hadn't heard of the Nakamichi Dragon. $2,500 in 1980s!

So now I can say after 40+ years of wanting one, I've managed to get a Nakamichi upgrade to my system! All logo'ed and everything smile


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by Mike_500
I then went searching for audio-quality spade terminal and result! I discovered that Nakamichi made them ...
Nakamichi loveliness:
[Linked Image]


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Colin Triggs), 594 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.110s Queries: 40 (0.048s) Memory: 0.8917 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 17:30:53 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS