logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
Would the linear PSU be making the difference compared to MS200 and MS600


Living room: Ansuz Mainz8 C2, Uptone Ethernet Regen, Grimm MU1, Audionote (UK) DAC 5 Special, TT2, M2RIAA, Audionote (UK) OTO Line SE Signature, Fleetwood Deville SQ
sold (Q1-2024): 818v3, DSP7200SE
Office: MS200, audio engine A2+
Spare: STAX SRM-323II, SR303, MC200 (Roon ROCK’ed),
Roon: life time subscription
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
I have now tested the 218 connected to my 7200SE. I played MQA-tracks and compared them to PCM 96/24 (I tested more than 25 tracks). The MQA-tracks are as good as PCM96/24. One track "Take Five" is much better in the MQA version. I also compared some tracks MQA versus PCM 16/44. In this case the MQA-files are to prefere. After this test I return to play the same tracks through my 861 in Trifield. I can now say Trifield is much better whatever track you play. This test convinced me that I can use my 861 and get better quality than MQA in 2-channel stereo.


861v8+ID41, HD621, G98, Arcam P35, DSP7200SE, DSP7200HC, SW1600, DSP320.
2xMS600, 2xMS200, 2xDSP3200, AC200, Explorer2, 2x218, AD88, Prime, 251, 210
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Of course Trifield with a full front DSP7200SE/DSP7200HCSE array properly setup is "better" than just MQA in 2ch, but I hope that we will see the MQA boards to the 861v8/9 this year so that we get the best of all worlds, Trifield+MQA in full, no need to choose one or the other...


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Originally Posted by HermanAtHome
...Trifield is much better whatever track you play...
Originally Posted by Crion
...Trifield...properly setup is "better" than just MQA in 2ch
"Better" ? Surely not. Different - yes - and perhaps more to your liking ? smile

2ch MQA, properly 'delivered' is a different signal than the same album, non-MQA, delivered through 3-ch (or 7.1-ch). Trifield clearly gives a 'wall-of-sound' type delivery, which is preferable to some.

MQA gives a de-blurred & theoretically more accurate - HiFi - true to the original - sound signal.

This is of course then all further complicated by the use of DSP & Room-correction etc, so apples-to-apples comparisons are impossible at the moment !

But... I'd always hesitate using the word 'better'.... smirk


Trinnov Altitude CI-12; Meridian 861v8 + ID41 + UHD722v2 + 271, 2*SE-update DSP8.2Ks, SE-update DSP7200HC, 4*DSP3200, 4*DSP33, 218, 251
JVC DLA-NZ8; Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E; Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348
Roon [13i7 Win.11 NUC]; SKY Q; Oppo UDP-203EU; AppleTV / Fire Cube / Roku / NVidia
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Online: Content
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Originally Posted by Rolski
But... I'd always hesitate using the word 'better'... smirk
"always" or "often"? - I usually hesitate before using the word "always" (I think we can work out what you all meant) laugh

Personally - I prefer MQA vs. Trifield in my setup.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
Yesterday I had a listening session at my home to evaluate MQA-files. We were 5 persons listening to 218 connected to my 7200SE.

Nobody could say that MQA-files sounded better than PCM-files (96/24). Everybody said that the sound was equal between MQA and PCM-files.

After listening to around 25 tracks we changed to play the same tracks via ID41 and 861 in Trifield. Everybody preferred the Trifield sound.

After this test I am not sure that MQA is the best solution. All persons in the listening session have Highend systems at home.


861v8+ID41, HD621, G98, Arcam P35, DSP7200SE, DSP7200HC, SW1600, DSP320.
2xMS600, 2xMS200, 2xDSP3200, AC200, Explorer2, 2x218, AD88, Prime, 251, 210
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 153
Likes: 18
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 153
Likes: 18
Are you speakers set up for the best asthetics or the best sonics?

I find it interesting that 5 audiophiles can sit in the same room and agree on anything let alone be unanimous in the impression that there is no appreciable difference between MQA and non MQA tracks. To borrow a phrase from the movie Contact, are the rest of us suffering from some mass delusion?

In my room as well as my local dealer, the difference in sound quality goes from subtle to stark depending on the recording. I have to wonder if your 7200SE are either not set in the room correctly or if there is some other room interaction that is keeping them from imaging properly.

When they are properly positioned and set up, it should sound like the center channel is on when it is only in stereo mode. I would urge you to take a look at this. Trifield is a sound effect, and that doesn't always equate to sound quality.

In the end it really is whatever you prefer but, I think you are missing something set up wise.


Trinnov Alt32, 271, 808v6, DSP5200SE, DSP7200.2HC, M6, QNAP TS451, 218 various other bits.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
How loud were you listening? Was it "studio realistic"?

But I have to agree that setting up the speakers is critical. My own experience is that I need a room correction solution which works with MQA, because the room interactions are masking most of the benefits of MQA. But that solution does not exist.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
I have the same dilemma with respect to playing MQA or using room correction.

I've spent a week where I run my 8KSEs from my 218. I set the boundary to "wall" in the DSPs and drop the bass by 2.0 dB. While that is helpful for overall balance, it does not correct the imbalance in the bass itself.

I still find the presentation from the 218 to be very pleasing even with the bloated bass.

When going back to the ID41/861v8, the presentation is, well, correct, but not quite as involving. I also find that I need to drop the volume 3 or 4 points when using the 218 to match the level from the 861v8. I'm not sure why that should be the case.


Regards,
Bill

Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon
Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon
Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Bill,
Depending on what preset you are using on the 861 and whether you have calibrated then you might see the 861 running a few db's lower than the 218 which has no volume adjustments (afaik).


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 164
Likes: 1
If the position of the loadspeaker is so lmportant then I think that the difference between MQA-files and PCM-files is not big.

My room is about 65 square meters. The room correction in the 861 is almost zero. So I think the room is very good for music listening. When listening to music through my Prime I experienced the same quality for PCM and MQA-files. I had great expectations to MQA but today I don't think it is the final solution for digital music.


861v8+ID41, HD621, G98, Arcam P35, DSP7200SE, DSP7200HC, SW1600, DSP320.
2xMS600, 2xMS200, 2xDSP3200, AC200, Explorer2, 2x218, AD88, Prime, 251, 210
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 513
Likes: 1
Good point, Nick. I forgot to consider that. That is likely the cause.


Regards,
Bill

Theater: 861v8+ID41, 218, (2) DSP8KSEs, DSP7200VCSE, (2) DSP5200s, Marantz UD9004, (2) JL Audio F113s, Roon
Whole House: 218s, DSP520s, DSP 320s, Roon
Office: 218, DSP3200s, Roon
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.061s Queries: 40 (0.038s) Memory: 0.8895 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 07:13:16 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS