With the arrival of the first shipment of 10 218's this week, they will undergo testing in the following setups:
218 vs 818v3 into DSP8000SE
218 to 258 in a multiroom audio system to include multiple 218's in the same network.
218 to ATI amp and Monitor audio Silver 12 speakers
218 to DSP320 with 218 powered by the DSP320
218 vs MS200 in every setup I can come up with.
218 vs MS600 same as above.
I will let you know how it goes!
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
Yes , I will make sure to compare the MS200 vs the 218.
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
With MQA into SE loudspeakers, it sounds sublime. But then again, I am very sure that the output from the 218 will be *identical* to the output of the 818v3 in this scenario. The rest of the magic is the rendering in the SE loudspeaker hardware.
Again, for MQA decoded into DSP loudspeakers which are capable only of 96/24, it is my understanding that the decoded MQA core is always 2x sample rate, so again, the output of the 218 and 818v3 should be the same.
For non-MQA, it's up to our ears, and I have no opinion at this time.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Initially we were told this was so. With one in hand, this is not true
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
I don't think VK was suggesting that the 218 through DSP8000SE would sound identical to an 818v3 through same, merely that the digital output bits would be identical for MQA decoding to work. The 818v3 will presumably have better jitter stats and should sound considerably better than the 218.
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
I'm honestly not sure about "considerably". In absolute terms, the 218 sounded sublime into my 5200SEs with MQA material (I can't remember what it was in particular). The 818v3 could (should?) be better, but I think that we're talking small margins here. I could be wrong, but it's not an experiment that I can be bothered to perform, because I'm not about to drop another £8k on a second 818.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Not sure that will make too many 818v3 owners feel good about their purchases, of course maybe there aren't too many of them in the first place hence the 218 performance, glad I sold my 818 when I did.