Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Are you certain that the TIDAL app is not unfolding 1x to 2x and the MQA certified DAC is doing the 2x to 4x/8x?

I find what you are suggesting very improbable.
You could well be right. The screen on my DAC shows PCM 352 rather than MQA 352 when I unfold in TIDAL - ie as if the incoming stream is PCM 352.

Not sure why your 818 isnt showing a similar effect. In TIDAL app I just uncheck the MQA passthrough box but leave Exclusive mode checked. Try exiting the TIDAL app and coming back in with new settings?

Update: Michael Lavorngas Article in Audiostream yesterday explains all. TIDAL unfolding does first stage and DAC does the rest. Lots of discussion on the Roon forum for those interested. Still puzzled why my DAC shows "PCM 352" rather than "MQA 352" when TIDAL app is used to do first stage unfolding to 24/88

Last edited by Altus; 2017-01-12 23:40. Reason: Update comment

Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit