My thinking are that MQA is a kind of Direct extreme... If you add any DSP processing then it will change the bit information. I hope they allow us to use Trifield with MQA sources and still keep the resolution even if its not MQA anymore.
Also hope that will be true for Legacy systems, you should at least be able to extract 24/96 and pass it over MHR to the speakers.
From what I've understood so far, in a Sooloos system, the MQA-decoded stream has to end up at a Meridian DAC, because this is the only type of DAC that a Meridian MQA decoder can "profile" for.
This means that the digital path must either be MHR-encrypted all the way, or there needs to be a mechanism in the Sooloos streaming protocol which tells the 861 that it cannot output unencrypted digital (because this could then be used with a non-Meridian DAC for which the decoded MQA was not profiled...).
It's possible that the C15 might do a software decode and send the resulting 96/24 or 88/24 decoded MQA to an ID40 or ID41 (with the proviso that the 861 keeps it encrypted). In a legacy system, this is better than un-decoded MQA, but not optimal, because, with the ID40 and ID41 cards limited to 96/24, the (usually 192k-capable) Meridian DACs won't be driven optimally. However, that's exactly what I believe is happening in my situation: my 818v3 decodes the MQA and outputs 2x rate MHR to my 861v4, which can then process it and pass it on to my DSP loudspeakers as 2x rate MHR.
To the best of my knowledge, the C15 will not do MHR over SpeakerLink or coax, nor could the C15 stream to an MS200 or MS600, because neither (again, to the best of my knowledge) can do MHR on the digital output; the digital outputs of the C15 and MSx00 are unencrypted.
Still lots of unknowns; hopefully they will soon become clear.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
I thought that the 818v3 would only provide undecoded MQA (upsampled x 2) to your 6ks? You seem to be saying that even with non SE speakers the first degree unfolding is taking place? (the 861 being a neutral intermediate step).
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Correct. I was assured by John Buchanan that the 818v3 does the very best it can for all downstream devices. Plus architecturally, I believe that this has to be the case: the MQA decoder is on the digital input card and the 818v3 will produce output for the analogue, coax, and SpeakerLink outputs simultaneously. I cannot see that it's potentially "triple processing" for different capabilities on different outputs!
Important edit: I believe that the 818v3 *is* triple processing at the output stage, but not at the input stage! In other words, the 818v3 gets the very best it possibly can from the input, then does what it can on the outputs.
Last edited by VirusKiller; 2016-04-1018:25.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
In a letter from Bob Stuart commenting on multichannel MQA, there is this unequivocal statement about our near future:
Quote
Finally it has always been possible to perform EQ and other DSP in an MQA decode - that is fundamental to implementation in an AV receiver or a DSP loudspeaker. This facility has not yet been implemented in PC applications, but it might come this year.
Very promising and it sets expectations for Meridian, both two and multi channel.
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers