|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
When browsing through the 2L music store and seeing the DSD 5.1ch material and the really cool small filesizes of 2ch MQA it hit me, where is multichannel MQA?
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9 |
And where is the new 861 to play multi MQA? It was originally promised for the later part of last year.
Asa Post
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
And where is the new 861 to play multi MQA? It was originally promised for the later part of last year. I'd be very surprised if they "promised" it at all...
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340 Likes: 3 |
I've also been curious about the delay on an announcement for a MQA friendly 861. Is there more work needed for an 861 than an 8x8? Or is there more to it...
Thanks, Edd
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
My intention with this thread was to discuss the merits of Multichannel MQA. Could it be effectively streamed? Would MCH-MQA have increased audio performance as well compared to multichannel DSD/DXD/FLAC/DTS-HD/DTS:X/Dolby Atmos? As for the discussion of the 861v9 product, see the relevant anticpation thread  OT:To stay relevant in the home installation arena they need to adopt the usual suspects "Immersive Sound" codecs Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
But you also need some nice virtual speaker mappings algorithms in order to make an effective Immersive Sound "Bubble" as well as cater for the different speaker placements in the consumer Immersive Sound codecs.
So as for multichannel processor capabilities the bar has risen quite dramatically with the introduction of the Trinnov Altitude 32 in the Premium Home-Cinema installation market and the 861vX need to adapt.
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823 |
And where is the new 861 to play multi MQA? It was originally promised for the later part of last year. I'd be very surprised if they "promised" it at all... They did.
Kal Rubinson "Music in the Round" Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823 |
My intention with this thread was to discuss the merits of Multichannel MQA.
Could it be effectively streamed? Yes. I spoke with Michal Jurewicz (Mytek) at CES and he said that he would be speaking with Morton Lindberg (2L) to urge him to post a few MCH MQA files.
Kal Rubinson "Music in the Round" Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 3 |
Good call crion, I think MCH-MQA should and could be a very good thing to provid for both music and movies. Think of Netflix 4K with MCH-MQA!! That could make concert of all kinds look and sound fantastic. Christofer
Current main Sweden: 861v8, 808v6, UHD722, Oppo 103, Dell S718QL short throw Laser 4K HDR 8KUSE, 7200HCUSE, 3200 Other apartment: 818v3, MD600, 5200SE Study : Meridian Prime Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 820 on the go Focal Bath's Not connected(possibly for sale): G95, F80, HD621, 7200HC.2, 218
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 18 |
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 537 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 537 Likes: 2 |
I'm afraid I can't remember the source, but I clearly remember an interviewer asking Bob Stuart about multichannel MQA for movies, and he replied with something along the lines of:
We don't think that will happen in the foreseeable future
From the context, I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying anything specific about multichannel MQA music, but I'm very sure I've never heard him refer to MQA and multichannel music in of the interviews I've seen or read.
So not a "no," but from what I've read/heard not remotely in the forefront of the initial rollout.
Living room: 818v3, Parasound A23+, Maggie 1.6 A/V room: 861v8, DSP7200SE L/R/C, 4x DSP320 surrounds, ID41 + Roon, UHD722, Prime+PS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823 |
I'm afraid I can't remember the source, but I clearly remember an interviewer asking Bob Stuart about multichannel MQA for movies, and he replied with something along the lines of:
We don't think that will happen in the foreseeable future I have spoken with him directly about MCH music and he has not replied in that form. I think that reply was regarding movies. From the context, I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying anything specific about multichannel MQA music, but I'm very sure I've never heard him refer to MQA and multichannel music in of the interviews I've seen or read. He did reply to me that MQA can certainly incorporate MCH but that it was not a priority at the moment. Clearly, the priority is to establish MQA in the mainstream, i.e., stereo music. That said, Michal (Mytek) clearly indicated that he would try to get 2L to make MCH MQA files posted and also implied that they would be playable via a trio of Mytek Brooklyn DACs. This seems to indicate that MQA already accommodates MCH.
Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 2016-01-14 21:41.
Kal Rubinson "Music in the Round" Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 3 |
I do agree that establishing MQA as a standard for stereo first is of paramount interest for every body.
But with the history of Meridian created DVD audio that had both stereo and MCH I can't see why MQA should not include the possibility of MCH.
There should also be quite a lot of MCH DVD audio pre masters out there that could be made into MCH-MQA. I do remember that the AIX Records were into that (have not heared anything about them jumping on to MQA though).
Last edited by NextMac; 2016-01-14 23:33.
Current main Sweden: 861v8, 808v6, UHD722, Oppo 103, Dell S718QL short throw Laser 4K HDR 8KUSE, 7200HCUSE, 3200 Other apartment: 818v3, MD600, 5200SE Study : Meridian Prime Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 820 on the go Focal Bath's Not connected(possibly for sale): G95, F80, HD621, 7200HC.2, 218
|
|
|
|
1 members (Maz),
169
guests, and
4
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,200
Posts297,160
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|