Originally Posted by ScottD327
The HD621 on steroids would have to be a processor as well since no Blu-ray player (yet) can decode Atmos to 9.1 or 11.1 PCM.
Yes you will need extra processing power. The current Dolby Atmos standard allows for up to 34 channels, 24 ear level and 10 height channels. Most of the units coming out seem to only do 11 or so channels such as the 8802A with its 7.1.4 capabilities. At this point the only processor that I know of that comes close to maxing out Dolby Atmos is the Trinnov Altitude 32 with its 32 channels and then coming in with a little less is the Datasat rs20i.

I am hoping that a new Meridian Atmos box + 861v9 will yield at least 17.1 channels. Dreaming? Perhaps. But I'm not giving up on M yet.

Gary


My Kit: Trinnov Altitude 32,Oppo BDP 203, Sony 600es, Martin Logan Neoliths Mains with VTL Siegfried II's, ML CLX's, ML Renaissance, 5 ML Theaters,13 ML Vanquish, 6 ML Edges, 6 ML Axis' 8 Velodyne DD-18+'s, Pass Labs 600.8,Pass Labs 160.8, Pass labs 160.5, Bryston 14B-SST, 6B-SST,6 Bryston 9BSST^2's, 14' Stewart Screen, Berkely Alpha DAC RS