In anticipation of it becoming available on Sooloos I decided to try out Tidal this week on my iPhone (frankly my main music playback system).

In terms of sound quality it is miles ahead of Spotify, even at sub-lossless level compared to Spotify's Extreme (notionally 320kbs). The collection is very good (only a couple of artists I couldn't find).

For me, I decided not to continue beyond the free 7 days for now because the iPhone app doesn't handle gapless playback at all well (mashes tracks together rather than leaving a gap in between), which was very irritating.

When they release v2.2 I will be there to re-subscribe as long as it does't suffer from the same problem because the sound quality and choice is great, and hopefully the iPhone app will be fixed too (keeping an eye on the app store).

YMMV

Ian


Main: Roon-Mac, Oracle Delphi/SME 309/Cadenza Blue, GSP Reflex C, 218, DSP5200SEU, Sky Q, Samsung 49KS7000
Office: Roon-Mac, Quad Vena 2, DALI Opticon 1
Prototype and learning: 101, M30 mk1
Next project: Vintage LS3/5A, QUAD 303