Originally Posted by JaapJan
I am struggeling to understand, despite all what is written already. I have a MC200 and not yet a backup system, just as I was thinking to what NAS to buy M offers us the QNAP solution. So I am right on time. If I get, lets say a 4 bay QNAP then I have the following assumptions, please advise or correct me.
The QNAP plugin is not aimed at backup, but at extending storage. All music that you store on the NAS and use through the plugin is only stored there.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
Should get server quality drives in it?
I typically get the 'green' drives.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
I put my backup on drive 1, and that should be copied to a second drive as RAID1?
As described by others, unless mission critical, the RAID 5 across 3 or more disks is more space efficient with the ability to still rebuild if a disk drops out.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
For now I have my CD rips on the MC200, when that is full then I rip towards the QNAP and by doing that I just grow my storage?
You'd typically rip locally and then upload to a NAS, removing the local copy.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
The fourth drive could be for other application I guess, or is that the back up for my MC?
You'd normally put all drives together in one RAID array, maximizing space with resilience.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
On the iPad, do I see then all albums I stored, regardless if they are on the MC200 or on the NAS?
Yes, inside the core app it will access all the music regardless of where it is stored (MC200 or QNAP NAS with plugin).

Originally Posted by JaapJan
Why is a RAID 1 NOT a back up, it seems to me as a full copy of the "master" drive?
As mentioned by the others, it is a one on one copy, and so a backup, but also one done at the exact same time, in synch. So if you mistakenly delete something the 'backup' is also missing that file. So it is only used in case of disk failure, real backups are expected to be store on a different device, ideally in a different location.
Of course, you should also consider that you still have the original CD's. Annoying to rerip, but if the NAS i.e. gets flooded, and both drives are down, you still have the ability to rerip.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
Why would dBpoweramp be better than the great working MDMS import tool?
I would argue that when MDMS doesn't find the right metadata dBpoweramp is easier to work with. But several other topics on this site discuss it.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
Would my rips on the QNAP also be available to my Squeeze box to be used as other zone?
My understanding is that the files are all still accessible on a file system level, so can be shared. That is assuming you are not using a specific directory structure for Squeezebox (which I would not expect), as you'll be linked to the M way.

Originally Posted by JaapJan
All in all I would have 4 spinning hard drives for MDMS, isn't that a bit much?
Start with 3, which is the minimum for RAID5. Add a 4th when you need extra space. My suggestion would be to buy the best size \ cost balance drives currently available, probably 3 TB each.


Meridian G68 AXV, HD621 | Cinepro 2k6mk5 | 4x Scanspeak A4 monitors, center & 26W Sub | RPi Hifiberry digi+ | Roon