logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 … 9 10 11 12 13 … 16 17
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Originally Posted by Neil H
If you rip to iTunes then you don't need MDMS as the quality will be rubbish; the same as iTunes.
That's a sweeping statement.

Have you ever looked at or tried Channel D|Pure Music?


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Not the person youre replying to, but I tried Channel D/Pure Music, Audirvana, and Jplay in memory mode, etc, etc, when demoing USB dacs. None of them got over what I came to feel was a fundamental problem in using a computer and USB, it's simply not optimised for audio.

A streamer which pulls music over a network, rather than USB, and isolates from the electrically noisy components in PCs/NAS, etc, is a different story. Meridian, Naim, and many others now have good solutions for this, and you choose the interface and sonics you're happy with, just as with CD Players, IMO...


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
I hope you are correct Ge03. A new low cost core product would probably be enough incentive for me to jump in.


Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Likes: 1
RBM Offline
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Likes: 1
In the mean time, the QNAP plugin is live in the support section. Any brave QNAP owners around who care to share their experiences before I order mine?


Living Roon: MS200 > Reviver > MiniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac > DSP5200 | Headroon: Allo USBridge / SBooster PSU > Prime / SBooster PSU > MrSpeakers ÆON Flow Closed | Bedroon: Bluesound Pulse 2 | Roon Server @ NUC6i5 on Debian Stretch
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
@ One2Many,
Each to his own but I given the line up you have with your amps and speakers I would suggest that the entry price is already in the right range. If my music was coming through an Apple TV I would have paid the entry price for an MC200 and MS600 way before now.

What ya waiting for?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
@ncpl, you are correct. To each his own. Please elaborate how you think a $4000 MC200 plus $3500 MS600 is in the right range. The apple TV is $99.



Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174
Likes: 171
Originally Posted by One2Many
I hope you are correct Ge03. A new low cost core product would probably be enough incentive for me to jump in.
Given your amp and speaker setup, I'm curious - why be prepared to spend so much on what comes after the source and expect a far cheaper source to do it justice? The entry point for a system of your class and expense would be an MS600 at least.


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 375
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 375
With QNAP X69 servers with WD Red drives running to about �500 for a 6TB twin drive or somewhere under �1000 for a 12TB with four drives making storage available at acceptable market rates.

I'm curious as to what you feel would be an acceptable target price point for a Control:15 replacement, a touch screen monitor with Core ability but no storage?

Should it have audio end zone abilities such as RJ45 & SPDIF or is the MS200 enough?

I don't see Meridian diluting the market need for the ID40/ID41 option as the state of the art but perhaps something between that and the MS200?


Geoff

861v4-LPS, ID40, MC200, Roon, Tidal
DSP7000, DSP5200HC, DSP5000.3, Oracle Delphi IV, SME V, Dynavector DV17mk3.
Mac Mini(2010), Synology NAS/Plex Server
Schitt Lyr, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Beyer Terminator v4.
Oppo BDP-93/Vanity93Lite, Sony PW-10, Grandview 100" screen
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Actually, the Apple Express is only $50 and would be much better suited to your needs as it wouldn't constantly resample the music to 16/48 as the ATV does.

Likewise, given your question above, I'm sure that you would likely feel that the AE is a close competitor to your Briston Preamp... And that one of those Bose units a likely competitor in sound quality to your Dynaudio's.



-
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
To elaborate... whenever I built my hifi's I followed a rule of thumb that meant I would try and not let any end of the chain get out of sync performance-wise with the rest. That would generally mean that the source units would keep pace with the amps and speakers as my system grew over the years.

No point in my mind having a great set of pre-amps and power amps feeding nice speakers if I didn't match that with a similarly good source.

So, in my head, I would have a better source feeding those nice Brystons and Dynaudio's. Given the cost of those together I would personally seek to get the very best out of them and put more than the $99 ATV up front.

Not sure if you quoted the US RRP's of the units but of late you could get both of these from good dealers for much less than this.

No offence intended at all. Just a casual observation prompted by your earlier comment about needing a cheaper Sooloos entry point.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Ado Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 175
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Ronnie
My Sooloos updated to v 2.406 (build 332) this evening when I arrived home from a long weekend. I will get around to buying dBpa eventually.

I checked the QNAP and dBpa websites - not even a news update mentioning either product or collaboration with M... clearly not very important to them.


Z0: 861v8+ID41+Roon on a QNAP, Naim NAP300, Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario

Z1: Arcam AVR-450, Oppo BDP-103D, SkyQ, Apple TV, Kuro KRP-600A, Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento & Cremona Center M speakers, Martin Logan Descent-i Sub, 2 B&W wall speakers

Z2-6: Roon controlling MC600 Zones into Parasound amps to B&W ceiling speakers
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
Edo Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 262
The cheapest QNAP 2 bay is little less than 400� while the the 4 bay little more than 550�, and that is without drive.
The one pictured on the Meridian pdf is the TS569pro, it cost 850�...
I love the idea of the cheap Sooloos storage though. Meridian did the right move as home NAS is increasingly popular and a burden I guess for them.


861v2, DSP3100, DSP3100HC
Page 11 of 17 1 2 … 9 10 11 12 13 … 16 17

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (AudioImages - Rick), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,164
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 40 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8968 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 10:14:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS