No don't think so, the QNAP can be used as storage only but you still need a Core and the MS200 does not do that, you will need one of the following: MC200, MC600, MD600, Control:10 or Control:15.
No don't think so, the Qnap can be used as storage only but you still need a core and the MS200 does not do that, you will need one of the following, MC200, MC600, MD600, Control:10 or Control:15.
Forgive my thinking, but this all sounds a bit pointless...
If I understand the process correctly, if I already have the ability to store my existing music library on my ReadyNAS and Mac, and then buy an MC200, I can then import/transfer said music library into Sooloos.
Then, additional new music can be ripped to iTunes on my Mac before being imported into Sooloos (and backed-up on my ReadyNAS).
Why, then, would I need or require this QNAP/Meridian method for music storage?
Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.
#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504 #2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia #3: Other stuff
I think the idea is for 3rd party, more affordable expansion of storage? If, for example, like me, you have bought your 'core & store as an MC200, but it's only 500GB, this means that when you need to expand simply the storage for more albums, you're not having to pay for the core, or anything else already in the Sooloos architecture again. Previously you'd have had to buy another proprietary core/store like another MC200 or an MD600.
If this is correct, it's good for all of us, financially.
Forgive my thinking, but this all sounds a bit pointless... If I understand the process correctly, if I already have the ability to store my existing music library on my ReadyNAS and Mac, and then buy an MC200, I can then import/transfer said music library into Sooloos. Then, additional new music can be ripped to iTunes on my Mac before being imported into Sooloos (and backed-up on my ReadyNAS). Why, then, would I need or require this QNAP/Meridian method for music storage?
Hi Spinaltap,
There are many different types of audio media streamers out there such as Sonos, iTunes, Squeezebox etc. that rely on have a music file stored in a digital format on some form of storage media whether it be a hard disk, USB stick, iPod (SSD's) that then have the audio file decoded and eventually played in an amplified audible form aka music. Comparing an iTunes based digital media player against a Meridian Digital Music System (MDMS) is not an "Apples to Apples" comparison. Pardon the pun.
The original American developed and owned Sooloos system acquired by Meridian and now aka MDMS uses the public "lossless" FLAC file format for audio files which up until now have been stored on proprietary Meridian storage systems. The MDMS is considered by most folk on this forum to be the leading digital music system presently available both for its user interface and more in particularly its audio quality, especially when played through Meridian audio components.
Presently, you cannot run a MDMS without a "Core", a user interface, storage and a digital audio output end point. The user interface can be a Meridian free app available for an iPad or iPhone but the core, storage and digital audio output end point up until now had to be purchased from Meridian. The QNAP compatibility has removed the necessity to deal with proprietary Meridian storage components but the requirement to purchase a proprietary MDMS core and digital audio output end point still remains.
If you are currently storing your music on your Ready NAS and Mac and playing it back through iTunes on your own sound system, then you have your own digital media music system and if you are happy with it, then yes you are right, it is pointless to change. Though one of my favourite sayings in my line of work is "you can't know what you don't know" so I highly recommend that you get yourself into a Meridian dealer and have a demonstration of a MDMS to judge for yourself if you can hear the improved audio quality that current MDMS users are happy to pay a premium for.
However, for the rest of us who are using a MDMS or considering one, the overnight availability of cheaper MDMS compatible QNAP storage is most welcome by all followers.
There are many threads on this forum that explain in far more detail all of the ins and outs of MDMS and hopefully Carl will chip in with a link to one or some of the most informative threads or links.
Meanwhile trust me when I say that you are definitely in the minority with respect to the QNAP storage news.
I can't help wondering how long it will be before Meridian release a choice of standalone Core plus audio zone in the form of perhaps a simplified C15 without storage or more likely something like the MS200 with Core added?
Geoff
861v4-LPS, ID40, MC200, Roon, Tidal DSP7000, DSP5200HC, DSP5000.3, Oracle Delphi IV, SME V, Dynavector DV17mk3. Mac Mini(2010), Synology NAS/Plex Server Schitt Lyr, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Beyer Terminator v4. Oppo BDP-93/Vanity93Lite, Sony PW-10, Grandview 100" screen
That's a rather extreme statement. There is no reason why problem-free discs ripped to ALAC by iTunes using error-correction couldn't be fine. And what matters is what you play them back with, i.e. MDMS or iTunes with an unoptimised output.
I have some rare discs which I can't get error-free XLD rips from but have no choice but to use what I can get. Despite this, they still sound much better on my MDMS system than out of iTunes and the Mac's unoptimised output.
I came to MDMS systems after having tried some pretty esoteric UBS dacs with my MacBook Pro or PC as a source, none of which sounded as good as my modded VRDS-7 CDP. Then when that broke down, I ended up with a second hand 808.2i which was amazing. I tried a good Naim streaming system alongside this, NDX/Unitiserve. It was very good, but not as good as the 808.2. The only system I sound which could significantly better it was an MDMS with ID40, or in the 818 ID41. It really is that good.
I could do a test, as I have a great way to do a direct comparison - the 818v2 has a good USB input, so I could easily play the same music through that from iTunes, then compare with the same through Sooloos, if you're interested? This might be a bit OT, though...