Yeah, I was kidding (partly!) but I seriously don't think you'll see the price of core drop *that* much. We still don't know which QNAP will be supported, and it may well be one of their high-end 4-bay pro drives, which are well over �1K, and which I expect will be used as extra storage, rather than having any core functionality. That does seem sensible - I don't see why, after shelling out for core/store and endpoint, you should be stung on extra proprietary storage if it is simply a NAS and if it has no effect on SQ.

It should be remembered that the MC200 IS essentially a store/core/endpoint, as it has DACs and can be used direct to an analogue amp, or into DSPs, etc. By the time you bought what is likely to be a high-end QNAP, paid for whatever core plugin it supports, and added a decent DAC, would you be far short of the price of an MC200 anyway?

If a QNAP is enabled to run core, I would expect there to be a premium for whatever plugin or card is required to make that happen, I highly doubt Meridian are going to give that away for free! To make an analogy, the software for my Avid Media Composer is 'free', it's the little USB dongle which unlocks it that costs �1K wink


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502