Originally Posted by Roving Gecko
So, if Meridian not only puts storage, but also a core into a QNAP, then all you need is an endpoint. I.e. an ms200 would be enough. That would make quite an affordable entry point for a Sooloos system!
Personally I don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

Firstly, too cheap an entry would devalue the Meridian brand. Meridian is something to aspire to, not an equivalent to bits you buy in PC World (substitute your local equivalent of mass market shops with kit being sold by people not clued). The post just today in other thread about Porsche not building a family hatch is a good analogy.

Second, Sooloos uses a 'lockstep' release mechanism (everything released in one hit) and by pushing out a component as major as the core onto third party system would limit the changes that could be done. That said, a total replacement of QNAP firmware with Sooloos firmware would still fit in with this (and at least the last few releases had some code for QNAP devices but I do not know in what form) however, there are compromises when software has to be configured to run on multiple hardware variants if you are not in control of both software and hardware - i.e. Windows/Mac.

Thirdly, I do not see a reason why Meridian would want to give out their intellectual property for nothing. The Core IS Sooloos and I personally feel that bundling it with another hardware component of their making at a marked up price (i.e. MD600) is a perfectly reasonable way of charging for the cost of Core.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the future of Sooloos is totally core based. If you look at recent products and developments, Meridian HP Connected, Explorer, USB inputs in latest 8xx series products, I believe that there will be a differentiation between a PC/Mac based standalone system as with HP Connected (HP PC only) and a distributed core based system as we have now with Sooloos. If you want budget entry point, you go PC/Mac and have music when PC/Mac is on or you go up market with a distributed music system 24/7 and pay the premium for the Sooloos core and associated Meridian badged hardware needed to drive it.

Just my 2p.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).