logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Having just read this clear explanation I have realised why there is so much confusion from customers about the Sooloos architecture.

It's that they have called an endpoint a "source" (which would normally imply the storage or server component of a system) whereas it's really a client.


Malcolm
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Malcolm,

I think the term Sooloos Source, stems from viewing it as an audio source for ones HiFi which is, as you say, confusing in the context of the Sooloos component architecture.


Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
That makes sense Carl. Viewed from the amp/pre-amp outwards.

FWIW - I chatted about MS600 and MC200 SQ with a well known (to HH) hifi store yesterday. Their view was that MS600 in either analogue or digital is significantly superior. It is their weapon of choice for any demo of amps, speakers etc.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
How do they rate the performance of the MC200 as a standalone?


861v4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST
KEF Reference 3 and 2c, 2 X SVS SB13 ULTRA
Audio PC: JPLay, LPSU, JCAT, PPA Studio
Cables XLO Limited, Unlimited Edition and Signature
Sony VW500 Isotek Titan, DIY Mains and Clean Signal Earth Solution
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
I didn't specifically ask but I would guess they'd describe it as good and a great entry level Sooloos unit. The MS600 is better. So, it's down to personal choice as 3 'levels' of SQ are available with scaling prices to match.

Start with MC200 ... a safe start.

When upgraditis hits, the MC200/MS600 (for small/medium libraries) in an anlogue system is a no brainier.

MD600/MS600 (for medium/large libraries) is a very nice option.

818 if you wants the dog's.....

I actually think M have a line up that makes a lot of sense now. I wouldn't have said so 12-24 months ago.
Just a few more items required e.g. M80 Sooloos gadget.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by ncpl
I actually think M have a line up that makes a lot of sense now. I wouldn't have said so 12-24 months ago.
+1

The recent upgrade to the iPad app has also made browsing through your collection a real joy. You can download the Meridian Advanced Sooloos Guide from the M site to give you an idea of how it works. The guide was written form the persective of a C15 user, but the iPad app is close enough that you will get the gist. There are some stability/bug issues with the App, but M really are moving in the right direction.

I have just updated the Wiki section on Sooloos ripping, adding a few of my observations regarding the pain points when importing CD's/files into a Sooloos system. Getting good metadata is very important to getting the most out Sooloos.

Cheers
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
Apart from my own and a 506 16bit I have not heard any other Meridian kit

If the MC200 is entry level Sooloos and it is referred to as "ok" by comparison to the better M kit to an experienced dealer/owner listener etc.

However entering into this line of M kit comparing it to other kit i.e. older Meridian or other manufacturers kit might make an "ok" piece of kit can become "excellent" if that makes sense - depending on the comparison.

It's the later comparison I am trying to find out about - maybe I should have made that clearer in the inital post.

Thanks for all comments it's very interesting reading.


861v4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST
KEF Reference 3 and 2c, 2 X SVS SB13 ULTRA
Audio PC: JPLay, LPSU, JCAT, PPA Studio
Cables XLO Limited, Unlimited Edition and Signature
Sony VW500 Isotek Titan, DIY Mains and Clean Signal Earth Solution
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Indeed..."OK" was a deliberately vague and subjective word.

One man's OK is another's awesome.

Worth keeping in mind that going from a 506 to a MC200 brings so many other really positive aspects.

Find a good dealer near to you and get a loaner machine for a weekend. Or, as Ian mentioned, take your 506 to the dealer and test 506/200/600. It would be a very interesting experience.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Hi Al, I will try if I can to use the analog input of the 565' although it will be easier with the F80. No set up issues that way.
It is a lovely piece of kit though. I was shocked to find that SWMBO has loaded a bunch of discs properly with attension to meta data whilst I was at work this morning. I would never have believed it.
Cheers Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Hi again Al,

I have played the MC200 into the 565 analog inputs and it does sound good although I prefer the digital into 518 route.
This could be as much to do the the ADC DAC conversion in my 565 and in no way be anything to do with the MC200.

This was not an over criticle test just my impression. I will stick to digital on my system but a good analog system wil likely be great as Meridian conversion wil be good and you wouldn't have the extra ADC/DAC to consider, the weak point here I think.

I hope it helps but my system can't give you the definitive answer you need.
You must try one out for yourself as it is so easy to get into a collection.

Cheers Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Excellent Chris, thanks for taking the time to compare. I was wondering how the extra "conversion" would impact SQ. I wish I could try one out in my system, but here in California there doesn't appear to be much dealer enthusiasm for these new Meridian products. I have checked with multiple dealers near me and not one has an MC200 or MD600/MS600 combo for that matter, so couldn't even listen at the store, much less take it home. One dealer did offer a 30 day return with restocking fee, but that is not acceptable to me at these price levels.

Again, thanks for the analogue test. Hope it helps the original poster as well.

Al


Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 338
I am still to get my audition of the MC200 - I was hoping this week but I have been too busy, hopefully next week.

I meant to ask before - the ad for the MC200 mentions

"analogue outputs delivering fixed 2V peak-to-peak or variable output levels"

How do you adjust the output level??

Reason I ask is my current 506.24 puts out too great a signal for my LX83 and it causes overload distortion - to combat this I need to turn Attenuation on the amp for the CD source.
Attenuation lowers the inpit signal and I boost the overall volume

My cousin has said the 506 puts out a slightly higher than 2volt signal so thats what I have attributed to the overload - the input signal being too great.

I am hoping If 2 volts is still too much to lower it so that I dont need to use attenuation on the amp as I know it will be better to control the signal at the source, rather than reduce it in the amp.

Thanks for the help


861v4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST
KEF Reference 3 and 2c, 2 X SVS SB13 ULTRA
Audio PC: JPLay, LPSU, JCAT, PPA Studio
Cables XLO Limited, Unlimited Edition and Signature
Sony VW500 Isotek Titan, DIY Mains and Clean Signal Earth Solution
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,176
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 40 (0.026s) Memory: 0.8897 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 19:03:43 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS