Originally Posted by VinceHoffman
According to two different service techs at M USA, the replacement 861 PS they are now installing is a "much more robust unit which should be significantly more reliable." For the $850 (return shipping included)repair cost I just laid out I hope so.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

They are making serious money charging $850 for a PS & labor to replace. I was quoted a fixed fee of $1000 for the same. I'd guess that at least 50% of that is profit. My 861 v4 is way out of warranty, and M has definitely taken care of me in the past, but they've thrown an abrupt switch and it's a steep hill to climb if you need repairs now. All of the following:

(1) Huge upgrade cost for v4 -> v6
(2) Non-robust nature of the gear. (The frequency of repair / issues with my Meridian gear is an order of magnitude more than any other gear I own).
(3) The now expensive costs for repair.

Has soured me on the brand, honestly, and is definitely pointing me in other directions. I am not in a hurry to change out as my gear is working right now - and when it works it performs very well - but I am eyeing a Meridian free future, unfortunately.

-Rick