logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 31 1 2 … 14 15 16 17 18 … 30 31
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by gIzzE
It seems a funny combo, an 861 with the 3100 speakers, was it due to size limitations??

Surely a G61 with 5200's across the front and 3100's on the rears would have been a better system??


I opted for a 5.3 system with three analog subwoofers to give better bass control than strict placement limitations of 5200's or other floor-standers would allow. I have two subwoofers in the front corners and one in the rear corner (all at different heights and supplementing 861's MRC with Velodyne's SMS-1 subwoofer room correction).

That was at least the theory. Wishing now I had just used a 562 and put the $ I sank into the 861 on a wild weekend with hookers in Vegas.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Haha, got to say, sometimes a weekend away is far more rewarding than buying kit with a plug on the end of it!! wink


The system now makes perfect sense btw.



No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by jaco
Originally Posted by Audio High
The trade-in program won't make sense for everyone. It's an expensive unit to build and since there is no value to them in the older boxes they are taking as trade-in, they are just covering their costs to do the upgrade.
The cost to build it should not be very high. The cost to desing it and support it will be high i think.
The number of chips and circuit bords can be compared to perhaps $500 units from Japan. smile
Good point overall Jaco and it's probably why the trade-in will be at cost only. However, the components in all 800 series products if I recall correctly are the more expensive industrial grade components. That would add to the basic cost to produce a unit. Also the units will not be produced in great numbers as for some Japanese components.

We can expect to pay a LOT more than $500.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Audio High
There is some misinformation, so please wait for the official announcement answering all the questions from Meridian. I will post one once they give me the OK or maybe they will directly.

The trade-in program won't make sense for everyone. It's an expensive unit to build and since there is no value to them in the older boxes they are taking as trade-in, they are just covering their costs to do the upgrade.

Very keen to see the official announcement.

Whether the trade-in program won't make sense depends, I suppose, on the reasons why. If it is because it is prohibitively expensive, then I think a lot of people on this forum are going to have a real problem with that - myself included. I don't presume to know the profile of typical 861 owners, but I'd suspect that some decent pecentage bought it as an aspirational/finacial stretch product. To not be offerred a reasonable cost upgrade option (even reasonable in Meridian-speak), if that is indeed what happens, is I think deplorable. If the trade-in program doesn't make sense because the benefits are minimal, then I have no problem with that.

Surely the old boxes/boards will be retained, or at least some of them, as spares for older 861 units that will undoubtably be left in the marketplace?


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by M Music
Originally Posted by jaco
[quote=Audio High]The trade-in program won't make sense for everyone. It's an expensive unit to build and since there is no value to them in the older boxes they are taking as trade-in, they are just covering their costs to do the upgrade.
The cost to build it should not be very high. The cost to desing it and support it will be high i think.
The number of chips and circuit bords can be compared to perhaps $500 units from Japan. smile
Good point overall Jaco and it's probably why the trade-in will be at cost only. However, the components in all 800 series products if I recall correctly are the more expensive industrial grade components. That would add to the basic cost to produce a unit. Also the units will not be produced in great numbers as for some Japanese components.

We can expect to pay a LOT more than $500.
[/quote]
Hmm, i looked at a number of cards, saw the production lines. Also I worked for a part of Philips and there i saw production lines for PABX systems. Cannot say the machines look much different. But than again, i am no epxert.

And indeed, i expect to pay more than $500 smile


Sold all M equipment
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 233
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 233
Not much more smile. Man the suspense is killing me. Someone PM me the cost of the trade in and put me out of my misery. I want to know if I`m destined to be forever more at V4 or if i can swing to V6.

Rob


Living Room Kit: 861v4+ID40, DSP7000, DSP5500, DSP5500HC, HD621
Bedroom Kit: F80
QNAP TVS-471, Roon, iPad Air2
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
+1 smile


Sold all M equipment
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 162
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 162
Dear HH'ers , whilst this thread has been enormously interesting, the emphasis has to be placed on its underlying speculation; as we have heard diddly sqauat from the mothership, (apart from Sir Bob telling us that he is alive & life in the workshop continues). I personally think they have blabbed off their intentions & wares in the near future to appease their new paymasters. None of the stuff is set in stone & I suspect that no one will ever see a V6 (new) south of Easter. As for the 8x brigade (myself included) nothing has been formalised & I suspect its still in conjecture within the shell of the mothership. They have all been extrodinarily busy at this time of the year is the silly season for shows etc. They wont have a definate gameplan until all the dust settles & they get back to adress all the issues gotten from all the various meetings with feedback from the industry & channel. I eagerly await the price table, which I speculate will be in the region of �4k for a full trade-in (plus they will have to figure out the best rate)based on the currency they trade in.
Just my 20 pence worth (slightly more than 10 cents at the mo!!)..
Those of us that have been buying M kit for all these years, know they make statements of intent & design, sometimes it comes out, sometimes it gets scuppered due to unknown commercial reasons.

Last edited by audioaero; 2010-01-21 10:05.

861v6+ID40, 800D, QNAP269L, 7200SE, PS3, Panasonic PTAE-3000. Richard Gray Power supplies & Harmonic Technology/Transparent Audio/Wireworld Audio & Power cables.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Originally Posted by gIzzE
Haha, got to say, sometimes a weekend away is far more rewarding than buying kit with a plug on the end of it!! wink

It all depends whether your disease is audiophilia, or something worse caught in Vegas [though I suppose both could be caught in Vegas i.e.CES if you were in the trade].

But I do hope the trade-ins work for those who thought they had bought upgradability for life.


Asa Post
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by Asa Post
But I do hope the trade-ins work for those who thought they had bought upgradability for life.

Well, i have a PDF file from the start of the 800 series where many more than 8 channels would be possible. So i did not expect a backplane upgrade or whatever this is, to be needed.


Sold all M equipment
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
I believe there might be some official info coming VERY SOON.

I think if I had bought an 861 within the past year, I would be speaking with my dealer. I would be making the point that the unit is sold as future upgradable, and while taking into account that the basic unit dates back to ~1998, perhaps I didn't know that when I bought it, and even if I did, how could I know that the next update would require a wholesale change and presumably a price to go along with it. Perhaps the dealer can work with you on it. Perhaps the dealer can find a way to work with you and Meridian. Thats the route I'd go John. That is a bummer.

In my case, I bought the 861 in October of 1999. I think it was at V 2. something. Over the years Ive upgraded through V4 whatever it is. I forget how much Ive spent on upgrades but it wasnt that bad and in over 10 years now, I would have probably paid more had I been with something else that I know I would constantly be looking for the next latest and greatest. I know I have the latest and greatest with the 861 so no upgraditis there. Even when we know there are some tempting RC options out there.

Will I upgrade? Probably, but it will depend on price. I have been told that its a quite a dramatic improvement in sound- just better ingredients and better software and there you go. But for me, its more about where we go. Its clear the V4 is at a dead end. The results it produces are wonderful. The upgrade for me would be whats the most cost effective way to get into the future. Suppose I don't upgrade now, not really wowed by the lack of say new whiz bang feature (dont know if there is or not this is my speculation) and then they come out with v6.5 or v7. Then I want to upgrade and the path is far more expensive. I would kick myself. This is just me, not meant as any kind of judgement on anyone else's situation.


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Information taken from the CES 861v6 brochure:

Modular architecture also
means that as technology standards
advance and new features
are developed existing 861s can be
upgraded - adding new processing
features and connectivity; a service
that maintains the value of the
customer`s original investment.


G68J, HD621, ...
Page 16 of 31 1 2 … 14 15 16 17 18 … 30 31

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.058s Queries: 40 (0.036s) Memory: 0.9002 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 15:57:16 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS