Having looked at the 861 Data Sheet in detail and several times over, a few comments

a) There is a worrying lack of ANY mention of Apodizing. As this is such a HUGE part of what the 808.2 does and is such a differentiating feature for Meridian, it strikes me that Meridian would have it "front and centre" if Apodizing was actually included. Goodness knows, I hope I'm wrong!!!!

b) Seeing as how you could choose to connect a Sooloos Source to an 861 V6 via the Speakerlink input already included as standard on the IE44 card, for what reasons would I choose to spend an extra $2,000 on an ID40 Sooloos Card??

I read that using the ID40 Card, I can Control the Playlist on the Sooloos using the Meridian MSR+ and also a few other functions. Handy but hardly worth the extra $2,000

But then I go on to read the information below

Originally Posted by Meridian ID40 Data Sheet and also 861V6 Data Sheet
The card offers simple connection to a Sooloos system through its RJ45 style Ethernet port and renders audio streamed across that network. The host 800 Series product is then able to use its own powerful DSP capabilities to perform advanced audio enhancement processing, Upsampling lower sample rate audio streams through Meridian`s own upsampling techniques, and in the case of 861 apply other processing, such as Trifield, for improved presentation on a multi-channel system.

So I begin to wonder if Apodizing is ONLY available in the 861-V6 by using the ID40 Card?? It might explain where the extra MIPS are coming from

Really, really, really hope I'm wrong here. But I cannot think of any other plausible explanation as to

a) why "Apodizing" is not mentioned as a Feature.
b) It's also the only rational explanation as to why Meridian could justify charging $2,000 extra for the card

Even more worryingly, if I'm correct, then the ID40 has ONLY an RJ45 connection for connection to a Sooloos. If the ID40 is the ONLY route to Apodizing in the 861-V6, then that means that other SB3 / Sonos Media Players cannot avail of Apodizing thru the 861-V6!!!

Would welcome any other plausible explanations!!! Really hope I'm wrong here


-