OK, I am all set up.

A lot of prep work in terms of presets, phantom sources, changes in terms of cabling, etc.

Thank you to all fellow forum members for getting the configs just right. Everything except one preset worked perfectly the first time.

First, sometimes I forget what an amazing machine the 861 is. The ability to handle multichannel in various configurations with phantom sources and the ability to config on a PC then upload to the unit is remarkable.

I removed the cover of the Oppo. Gary`s work looked nice and clean. My player is labeled 120v only, so not sure if the power supply in my machine will handle balanced power (I have recently retired my PS Audio 300).

A few important points:

The outputs on the modded Oppo are now LR/SR/CS so you have to make sure to connect the cables properly to the IE42 card, in my case this was LR to D4, CS to D5, and SR to D6.

I am using 2` runs of Belden 1694a from Blue Jeans Cable. 777ES is connected with Analysis Plus wire, Squeezebox is also connected with AP wire.

Oppo config is as follows:

Downmix to 5.1
All speakers to ON
All speakers to large
All speakers to 0db
All speakers to 10ft
Secondary audio OFF
HDMI LPCM
SACD PCM
COAX out LPCM
LPCM rate 96k
Dynamic range control to OFF

The Oppo output with BR discs comes up as Music 6. At first the LFE was low so I changed the Music 6 preset to cinema (from discrete).

I then setup a phantom source called CD. Choosing IE42:M4 as the input then setting Trifield as the Music 2 preset.

My setup was:
CD/SACD via a heavily modified Sony 777ES player connected to the 861 via
digital and l/r analog into an IA45 card.

DVD player via a TAW player with SDI output into a Lumagen scaler

Squeezebox connected to my MacPro with all serious listening using Apple
lossless

As this is an audio forum let`s focus on the audio. Based on my preliminary review:

The modded Oppo is certainly in the ballpark of the Sony 777ES analog outputs on SACD material.

On SACD material the imaging using Trifield is very good. On the SACD version of Springsteen`s Live in NYC, 41 Shots, you can very clearly hear the positions of the singers as they open the song.

On CD material I give the Squeezebox a slight edge over the Oppo. Sound staging seems a bit wider. Braveheart tracks 3 and 4 reveals a slightly wider sound stage and separation between instruments. The gain levels between the Sbox and the Oppo are different so I may be hearing a difference in volume.

Need more time with the player to give more detailed results but so far very
pleased.

Other points:

The player is nice and fast, loading SACD`s on my old player took forever, now nice and fast.

Weird having video with CD/SACD, I use the pure audio mode so I don`t get burn in on my plasma.

As to the experience with Gary, not sure what is going on here. I have had the disappearing act go on with other custom mods and custom products I have had made, My amps come from Randy White at Llano designs, amazing gear but I learned the meaning of the word patience in dealing with Randy. I guess that is why I did not freak out with this mod and the time it took.

So, I have a $500 player with $1,200 worth of mods. In the end not sure if a stock Oppo with a HD621 would have been a better way to go, but for now I am happy.

Oh and Bluray video is better than DVD.

Now, if Meridian could get a version of native software for the Mac, life would be perfect.



Last edited by gages; 2009-09-27 13:22.

861v6, Oppo83 (3xSpdif Mod), Wiim Ultra running Squeezelite, Tivo Edge, Apple TV v4 with Key Digtial Audio Extractor, Von Schweikert fronts and center, Triad in ceiling sides and rears, Aerial SW12, Orchard Audio Starkrimson 3 channel and Sunfire Cinema Grand amps