logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2275 2001-02-03 17:43
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
I have been looking at purchasing a new stereo system (two channel) and a few months ago stumbled on Meridian speakers and associated equipment. Unfortunately there is no dealer close and haven`t been able to audition them yet..

I`m starting totally from scratch. My current amp and pre amp will be placed in our family room. My CD player is a Sony cdx cs90ex. I also connect my TV monitor (Sony wega 32”) to my stereo and use the two front speakers for not only music (only CD and fm radio) but cable TV.

One of the main problems I have run into when auditioning speakers is placement. I must mount them about 7.5 feet apart and up against a back wall. Also, they are set back into a alcove so only 4 or so inches protrudes out in front of the TV monitor and side walls.. I`m sure audiophiles cringe at the thought!

I have auditioned B&W speakers and find the 803`s respectable.. But desire to be placed out from the walls.

The speaker that seems perfect is the Meridian dsp5500.. And wondering if anyone is using this in a two channel setup. I would also consider the new 596 CD/DVD player. This seems like a simple yet incredible system. My TV output is analog so will also need a AD converter and wondering if anyone has thoughts on this?

It seems most on this forum own Meridian peripherals and not the speakers.. Are their speakers a good quality investment?

Any comments on this setup would be greatly appreciated. I will be going to New York in a couple of weeks so plan to stop by a couple of retailers, hopefully they will have the dsp5500`s for audition..

Ross
From Newport, Oregon. West coast USA.

#2276 2001-02-03 18:22
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24
I just listened to an 800 connected to two DSP5500's. Then compared another 800 with 803's 802's and 801's.

First Place: DSP5500
Second Place: 802's
Third Place: 803's
Bringing up the rear: 803's

The 5500's had incredibly fast bass response on the low end and excellent transparency in the mids and highs. I was very impressed. The DSP6000's IMO look better and have just a tad more bass. It's would be hard to justify the extra money.

#2277 2001-02-03 18:24
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24
Just another note. I own analogue speakers. If I had the money I would have no reservation buying the 5500's. Three across the front because my favorite listening mode is Trifield.

#2278 2001-02-03 19:00
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 71
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 71
I have Meridian speakers - I think one of the major benefits of the Meridian philosphy is the integration of the digital speakers. Of course, you can use analog amps/speakers, both as a step on the way to a full Meridian system, or if you have some that you really prefer.

In NYC, Stereo Exchange (where I buy my Meridian gear) and Harvey both have Meridian on the showroom floor. Presumably other dealers do as well.


.
#2279 2001-02-03 21:34
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210
Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210
Likes: 1
i recently replaced my B&W speakers with DSP6000s (5000C and 5000s in rear).

i'm a very happy customer. i have to say that not worrying about the amps and dacs and all that jazz is a real nice simplification of things. for a week i just had my 500 plugged into the 6000s and a big smile on my face. still don't have it all setup and configured (568, 562V.2 on its way, etc.) but i'm very pleased thus far.

if you don't have a local dealer, you should contact Meridian and see if the regional rep will help you out. i have a local dealer who isn't really a dealer (they carry only enough stuff to qualify to be a dealer - you can't audition much there - and certainly no 5K or above speakers) and they said they could have the Meridian regional rep get a loaner to me. presumably Meridian can do likewise for you. finally, i know a guy who purchased direct from Meridian in GA for lack of a dealer. they're nice people in GA.

post a plea on this board for anyone within a couple hundred miles of you with DSP speakers - most of us are Meridian nuts who'd be happy to invite you over to goof Meridian :-) bring your favorite CDs and a nice bottle of wine ;-)

SAB



The universally-derided DSP6000 Standing Desk, R.I.P.

Gathering dust: 598 w/SDI & 562V

Current system: Roon feeding a Chord Hugo2go driving Omega Compact Alnico Monitors
#2280 2001-02-04 00:59
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6
Thanks, so much, to all the replies. Makes me desire the speakers even more! It is great to hear that Meridian owners are very satisfied with their speakers. They are a substantial outlay but considering they come with DAC`s amps/pre it almost makes them a barging.. And, no hassle auditioning related equipment to make the perfect match.

I appreciate this forum because it enables people like me, who know very little about this product, to learn from knowledgeable owners.

I did contact Meridian and they steered me towards the retailer in Portland Oregon, Chelsea Audio. Unfortunately Chelsea seems to be phasing Meridian out and only had the DSP 5000`s but they were being used as wall ornaments.. And, not anxious to take the time do what was necessary to get them up an running. So, hopefully in New York (At Stereo Exchange or Harvey`s, thanks tkennedy) I will be able to get a first hand look at them..

I find that impressive Doug that these are above your impressions of the B&W 802`s.. They are amazong speakers with good associated equipment. I appreicant your observations.

Anyway, thanks *all* for your thoughts!! -Ross

#2281 2001-02-04 01:53
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210
Likes: 1
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,210
Likes: 1
ross - do be very careful about dealers who don't have their Meridian stuff setup right. it DOES take work to get this stuff configured. the long-term simplicity does have some up-front complexities.

i've seen some dealers do horrendous stuff. one of the reasons i haven't worked with my local (pseudo) Meridian dealer.

as an exercise, it's entertaining to know the ins and outs of a 518 and then check out the configurations that dealers have wired up. if they grok the 518, it's a good bet they know what they're doing. of course, ymmv.

sab



The universally-derided DSP6000 Standing Desk, R.I.P.

Gathering dust: 598 w/SDI & 562V

Current system: Roon feeding a Chord Hugo2go driving Omega Compact Alnico Monitors
#2282 2001-02-04 23:17
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I must say that I also did an A/B comparison of the DSP5500 and the N802 and did not reach the same conclusion as Doug: I prefered the N802 (especially for mids and highs).

The 5500 indeed seemed a bit more punchy in the bass but as far as the N802 is concerned, you have to be very careful about the associated equipment, they require a LOT of power to give their full potential.

My listening test was done with the Cyrus aPA7 150W monobloc and this was definitely not enough (the choice of the Cyrus amp was based on the whish to reach the same price as the 5500). Note that in both case the source was the 508 CD.

I now own (for more than one year) the N805 and even at this level I can tell you that a good amp makes a huge difference (I recently upgraded to a Chord amp and the result is wonderful).

I think a good N802 setup will cost more than a pair of 5500.

Michel

#2283 2001-02-05 00:32
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 560
Many sound engineers advice to purchase at least analogue active speakers. Passive x-overs, in which any regular high end audiophile pumps K-Watts of energy through a pile of large capacitors and resistors, are said to deteriorate the sound much more than their analogue or even digital active small signal counterparts.

Excellent chassis/driver technology and superior cabinetry can be found on either side of the pool.

Modern analogue active and Meridian Digital active speakers use MOSFET high grade amplifiers, as many agree the next good thing besides Class AA technology.

Active speakers however have that one step above passive speakers in terms of imaging stability and frequency response linearity, which is burried exactly in the x-over designs, since all other parts as written above are "relative".

Of course there is more to it, but one should at least audition active speakers in a properly calibrated set up "and" environment.

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 02-04-2001).]


Cheers, Andreas
My Meridian history 565/519 (1996), 861 (2000), to G68ADV, to 561 today, tri-axial cardioid studio monitors, self build acoustic measures, ceiling sails, corner bass traps, trial Helmholtz resonator, REW, Apple (TV, Mac, IPAD), SBT, Calman

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.045s Queries: 32 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8630 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 03:42:32 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS