Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267426 - 2017-08-30 20:52 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Loc: Colchester, Essex, UK
Tonight ‘We Are All Fossils’ opened with local based singer-songwriter Jakob Deist playing a short 30 minutes solo set. This is Jacob’s third appearance at LRB, twice before supporting the wonderful Red Sky July.
WAAF played new previously unreleased material. With a rich and gently reverberating voice and accomplished guitar playing reminiscent of Ben Glover who headlined LRB in March this year. Seems like a long time ago now.
He tells the audience WAAF are at the ‘back end’ of finishing a new album so this was a great opportunity to road test the new songs solo.
Also a confession to being a shy person…not that you would tell…and pleased a gig at my nephew’s wedding led to tonight’s appearance.
For the final song we had a choice of something upbeat or a slower? Everyone chose upbeat and it was a fine way to finish.

Look out for more from ‘We Are All Fossils’ in the future, I know I will.

Again, thanks to Simon Allen for the big sound.

Following a quick stage reset there was a return for Belle Roscoe from Melbourne Australia, although now they are acclimatising to living full time in the UK.
Brother and sister duo Mathew and Julia Gurry with Jeremy Badcock on electric guitar and BVs. Opening with Gun To My Head from their fine BOOM BOOM album.

After last year they had a score to settle as Julia lost her voice for the first time ever whilst on stage. “That was our best show according to the reviews” quips Matty to great laughs and a look from Julia.
Next up Side Stepping track two on BOOM BOOM (a signed copy of which is in my collection).
Belle Roscoe usually play as a five-piece band and they have a video of Known Better, the next song, online, filmed and recorded by Yamaha as they have been endorsed by Yamaha guitars.
Matty admitted that we are not missing that big line up so much at LRB as the sound here is so good. Flattery indeed….. Track seven on BOOM BOOM Check out the link and listen for yourselves.  Belle Roscoe, Yamaha Guitars

If you have missed Belle Roscoe, (Where have you been?) they are a very percussive band in trio line up, with Julia on drum and tambourine to accompany Matty’s stomp box and occasional guitar taps.
Julia’s turn to sing now; Bad Man written, so we are told, after experimenting with French men. “I can tell you now, don’t bother” she advised the girls in the room, to more laughs. On the positive side, they got a great song and a T shirt slogan from her experience.
“Being a musician is the best job in the world we only pretend to be unhappy” quips Matty, referring to all these songs about heartbreak.
Julia is recently single and said, “I would rather pimp myself off than have Matthew do it”. More big laughs….
This next song Heart Crash is a song they are trying to record and have never quite settled on how to really finalise it, so tonight was a chance to try an acoustic version.
I remember it from last year, it’s a great song and I loved it tonight!
Last year they supported Anne McCue and messed with her by doing her Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young cover of Southern Man. So, to retaliate, she decided not to do it at all.
Tonight though, they did another one, Ohio. “We only do this here” says Matty.  If that’s true, that’s a real honour. (From the 1974 SO FAR Album by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young).
The love hate relationship with overhead beam remains as it does with all taller artists…over 7 ‘ “but it’s somewhere to stash your water bottle as well as smash your head” says Matty.
Next, “Our Woodstock song,” “it’s what we would play if we were taken back there.
A homage to the great acts of the day, written with Janis Joplin in mind”, Sorry.Track eight on BOOM BOOM.
Wow that was lovely with some fine electric guitar solos from Jeremy and Julia in great voice. Jeremy was relentlessly teased about his surname at this point in the show, you had to be there though and another reason not to miss an LRB gig.
(This is the point you scroll back to the top to check)
Let Me Cut In was next. More up-tempo rhythmic loveliness with Julia on tambourine, track 10 on BOOM BOOM.
If you’ve read this far you may take the hint to buy the BOOM BOOM album if you haven’t already done so.
And so, we come to the last number, after a choice again we voted for a big one to finish on.
A song about their family who are from a small country town near Melbourne.
Their uncle Jimmy borrowed money from the wrong people and when things went wrong, the uncles had to run the loan sharks out of town.
The story never made big headlines like they thought it may so they wrote a song about it. Come Back Jimmy for uncle Jim from their 2009 Album. This saw a standing ovation as they promised to return with a full band next time.
“Score settled! Nailed!”… Announced J before Lyn’s legendary food break. A chance for everyone to mingle, chat and flirt with the raffle whilst the stage was re set for Katy Hurt.
Those prizes looked good tonight too. It was great also to see a younger member of the audience have her new Belle Roscoe T Shirt signed by the Matty and Julia as she was wearing it. That shirt is destined never to be washed…

‘Bon Jovi’s anthemic  hooks meets Dolly Parton’s tenderness’ was not overstating the case with the introduction of the Katy Hurt Band as we were to quickly find out.
Unfinished Business with the deceiving a capello opening nearly blew the roof of the barn.

This was a slick performance without a break between the first two songs, driving rhythms, sassy vocals and a great look were the order of the evening. They have studied and mastered the art of stage craft to great effect. The ‘see through’ drum kit Steve Mathews played sounded and looked great on its first outing with the band.
What’s a Girl Gotta do? was next, a catchy little number. “Wow, that was energetic I’m tired out already.” Joked Katy
The next song, Cheap from the PIECES OF ME album, track 7 and another catchy number with a fine guitar solo from Gab Zsapka
The next song started as Fragile  a gentle song, but things change. It’s now called I’d Rather Be (A Bitch). A much stronger song declaring independence, that’s for sure. A meaner newer song that gets your foot tapping.
The next song was Small Town after Katy’s home town Windlesham, and a little more country inspired. It ain’t like the idyllic small towns you hear about in American country music. It’s too small for that. Good song.
Katy got to introduce the band now, Steve on Drums, Ace on Base and Gab on Guitar before they played a gentler sad song, I don’t want to love you. This revealed the softer but still powerful side to Katy’s voice bringing the tempo down. A pin drop moment at the end here.
Katy complains she has too much hair for this heat, “not sure how Gab feels, Steve evens it out”, laughs… It was a hot night with more than the music though…
Time to lift the mood with Growing Up another strong song with a Country feel Katy playing her beautiful white Gretch guitar. (A present from the band, she told me later).
We are encouraged to dance for Old School , not that there is much room for dancing at LRB although it has been done…. Katy this time playing tambourine and shaker.
Laughs from the crowd as the song I Just Wanted A Drink was announced. This had a great slow funky feel Steve’s drums sounded particularly good here.

Steve Mathews Tucked up the corner

“Time to slow down again, give the guys a break” Katy tells the band.
Seasons is about when you can’t make up your mind. You vacillate between good and bad decisions. ‘I go round and around and around just like seasons’, is the lyric. This was lovely with just a gentle guitar backing from Gab. Another Pin Drop moment.
Before the ice melts  lifts the tempo again, Katy with her Gretch semi acoustic again.
The applause seemed to start at the back and work forward, very unusual.
Ride Home, track one from PIECES OF ME was next. Another song that builds and builds to finish softly after a storming guitar break, or does it? Such are the twists and turns…
Now for the last number and thanks all around. Unfinished Business. A gentle song to bring us all softly down from what was a spectacular performance full of light and shade.
This band regularly fills much larger venues and festival stages but the roof of LRB just managed to contain them.

All in all, that was a special night of live music only confirmed by some of the lovely feedback received on social media.
Well, we couldn’t leave it there could we? We had to have an encore. Fire, track five from PIECES OF ME.
Katy can really belt this bluesy number out with final flourish from Gab and his guitar and the tight rhythm section of Steve and Ace which completed a brilliant night.

Main pics courtesy of Andy Sheard.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-08-30 21:17. Edit Reason: Pics added, link sorted
#267539 - 2017-09-04 21:10 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

It was great to hear Elles Bailey on BBC Radio 2 Paul Jones Blues show tonight.
She is playing our end of season gig in October.

Anyway, here is what artists do when they get a radio break. Share in the joy.

Elles Bailey and her dog.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
#267919 - 2017-09-21 08:03 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

We made a trip to Scala, Kings Cross London to see Danny and the champions of the world play. Bloody Brilliant!
The Little Rabbit Barn link is Thomas Collison who played for us with Don Gallardo and Hannah Rose Platt was playing keyboards, Hannah was in the front row. It was great to catch up with them briefly.
Some videos from our last gig are up to enjoy.

Katy Hurt

Belle Roscoe

We are all Fossils

The audio mix is great, enjoy......

#268241 - 2017-10-03 10:12 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Putting on an LRB gig does not happen sometimes without a fair amount of unforeseen complications, to put it mildly!
Today we had uncertainties with the weather, a printer that wouldn't print and a speaker that failed a couple of hours prior to soundcheck.

On a positive note, the weather held out much better than expected, the printing was sorted and new speakers were acquired just in time!

As the old saying goes, 'The show must go on', and so with Lenny and a debut of the new Roland RD-64 house keyboard we opened our first true LRB triple headline artist show.

Lenny, playing songs from her new album HEARTS and accompanied by Andrew on acoustic guitar opened with Standing at the corner of your heart. Track three from HEARTS where you could see that she was loving the experience of playing live by her relaxed and confident attitude, introducing the songs and the stories behind them.

Bones, Lover (mixed with the theme from Ed Sheeran’sThe Shape of You) and You are my everything, a song she wrote age 12 followed.
Lenny tells us she learned to play piano from the age of 4 with classical music. She then played covers to learn song structure before writing her own songs.

Faster than sound was written having learned about the years of oppression in the Czech Republic under Russian rule from her grandmother. This was another solo on the new piano.
She covered I’ve Got The Music in Me showing just how good the ROLAND RD-64 is in the hands of a great player. ‘Have you got the music in you’ She asked the Little Rabbit Barn audience? Of course we have...

Letter to you was next as requested, remembering good times playing the Cornbury music festival. Andrew is back with guitar now.

After releasing her first single Oh My Love and hearing it on the radio, Lenny described the wonderful feeling of ‘getting my music to the people’ before playing this for us.

The new album HEARTS is like a new baby she tells us. Being stuck in the studio recording through the hottest summers days is worth it.

Ghosts, track 10 was next. We didn’t get the confetti pyrotechnics they use with the full band show at the end of that song at festivals, and wondered if J had considered this for the LRB? Not if I have to sweep it up, he won’t... haha.

The title track from the Album HEARTS is in honour of those we have lost on the way.

Pertinent with the recent loss of Tom Petty and other recent tragedies besides our own personal heartaches.

At festivals people wave lights and torches she tells us, and admits it often makes her shed a tear. Holding the mic free and with Andrew on guitar we are treated to a wonderful rendition of this.

It’s a shame she forgot to bring her latest CD’s with her but having heard HEARTS I can thoroughly recommend it.

Ironically, the last song is called Hell.o yes that’s how it’s spelt on the album.

Such a shame we did not have time for an encore, but on such a tight schedule it would not have been possible.

If you haven’t seen Lenny live, she needs to be at the top of your list, as watching this performance back as I write is only serving to remind me what a special performer Lenny is and how privileged we were to host her along with Andrew on this special night.

After a quick stage turnaround, the second headline artist tonight and four years since her last appearance at LRB is Jess Klein.

LEARNING FAITH is the latest of eight albums from Jess Klein that I found on Tidal.

Jess opened solo on guitar with Travelling Woman
Terry requested the next song Riverview from the album BEHIND A VEIL from 2013

Jess tells us she got Married a year and a half go and she is going to bring him up on stage to play soon, not just to show him off. He is a musician, laughs here......
My own beating heart is the tale of her thoughts leading up to the decision to get married.

Mike June now comes to the stage to share the bill and his first number impressed from the start. I ain’t never going back to St Antoine a lovely slow ballad where Jess joined on backing vocals beautifully. That was nice!

The next song was written before the recent political changes in the USA but seems appropriate. “Make America Great Again for who”? That’s the question says Mike. Jess again on backing vocals for Cotton-fields from POOR MAN’S BIBLE.

Mike tells of their travels around the world playing in places large and small and advises that although things may seem bad as portrayed through the media most people out there are great and the current insanity is temporary.

It was a shame the new album is stuck in customs but Alright is the song and you can find it on streaming services.

At this point we had a departure from the norm with Jess reading a poem inspired by the desecration of her grandmothers grave. Chicken Soup
She learned about this on international women’s day and felt this reading was the best positive response to those who act from ignorance.
This was a very moving moment for her and us that was followed by Shonalee from the STRAWBERRY LOVER album with Mike dune playing some lovely delicate solo accompaniment.
That was the sort of special pin drop moment that makes all the work putting these gigs on worthwhile.

Little White Dove closed the set without time for an encore again to raptures of applause well deserved.

You only get these experiences at live gigs which is what makes these occasions so special.

Time for food and the raffle which always seems to have interesting and imaginative prizes courtesy of Lyn.
This was the time for a major stage refit whilst people enjoyed the excellent food.
Apologies if you were stuck in the loo queue as our next act started.

With a complete change of mood we welcomed Kara Grainger with her UK touring band John Cox, Bass Guitar. John Glassop, Keyboards and Pat Levett, Drums to the stage to play some blues. Kara played acoustic slide and a Gibson Gold Top through the show.

The support band ditched Tom Jones to be here joked J on the introduction, to big laughs..

Opening with the first blues song she ever wrote followed by I’m Holding on from L.A. BLUES. Kara showed her talents to play and sing.
Voodoo Woman next with the Gold Top for a more Funky feel and a bit of Wah Wah pedal, this was a real foot tapper.

John Glassop played some amazing organ solos here and throughout the set.

I Dreamed I was the Devil was next, a song Kara’s friend wrote about pulling off a heist; getting away with it and driving into the dessert. More Wah Wah pedal on the solo.
After asking; Kara found that people came from far and wide for this gig. This is only her second UK tour so she doesn’t know the geography well. She chatted with the audience about Lowestoft, Seal watching and Pebble Dash housing during a tune up. The UK must seem a strange place to her....

They launched into the classic Dust My Broom now. I knew this would sound good having heard it at the soundcheck. Very reminiscent of the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer 60’s Fleetwood Mac sound. There is a band who would have totally rocked the LRB! In my dreams... lol
More lovely slide guitar to introduce C’mon into my Kitchen. Again from L.A. BLUES.

The band appreciated being well looked after at the cosy Little Rabbit Barn before playing Lost in you. A song with a strong John Mayer feel to it. Track 3 from the SHIVER AND SIGH album, and a beautiful warm solo on the Gold Top.

Stan ‘the man’ brought water to the stage at this point. His moment of stardom before a brand new song, the LRB being only the second audience to hear it. I can’t seem to let you go.
For those that don’t know, Stan is in charge of guest lists and merchandise, a valuable member of the LRB team

[img]http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/gallery/16/full/2564.jpg[/img]

Time for a little J.J. Cale as we approach curfew I’ll make love to you anytime from the J.J. CALE 5 album 1979. Working my way back home followed as Kara introduced the band with the relative solo’s from each member. That brought on a huge applause from the audience with just enough time for thank you and an encore before our ‘Witching Hour’ of 11pm.

Wow! It’s just all over so quickly but time flies when your having fun.

All Pics Andy Sheard.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Espen, Cmangrum, Flagooner, HDMan72, MadHatTheHatter
4535 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Carl 50
Not'arf 45
RobertW 44
Ian 42
ChrisLayerUK 38
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12148
Fiddler 8617
ncpl 8270
Carl 7468
Ian 7253
Forum Stats
4,535 Registered Members
17 Forums
23,989 Topics
247,279 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 15:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant