Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#274411 - 2018-03-20 23:40 Control:15 Problems
Zam Offline
Harmless
Zam Offline
Harmless

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

I recently inherited a Control:15 unit to add to my M collection, and was excited by the prospect of improving from a Sonos Connect unit that is currently streaming NAS/online material. On initial boot up, everything looked great, a few albums were already loaded up on the internal HDD, and with an internet connection, it was working great. The first problem I noticed was that the CD drive refused to download the material, and quickly spat out the disc shortly after loading. I tried a few different original CD albums before deciding the system was not discriminating particular discs at all.

The next notable point was the flashing flag of a new message in the 'messages' list indicating there was a 'system update' due for the system. The existing version was '2.4XX', and the version offered was '2.5XX' (I can't remember the exact sub-version code).

Thinking I was doing the right thing for the system, by leading to a possible fix to the CD loading problems I was experiencing, I followed through with the process. Now all I get is a screen with the 10 circles and the blinker scanning left to right, and the screen showing a white blank, then back to the 10 circles blinking, until it eventually freezes on one circle.

I have shut it off, swapped out the power supply with the TwinStore, and switched it back on, but all I get is a repeat of this process with the same end result. I have even replaced the CMOS battery, so we can eliminate that need.

Meridian's support for this product seems to be obsolete, so the links are broken from the website, which suggests to me that they no longer support this product. Can anything be done to revive this unit, or is it destined for the old e-waste pile?

I'd love to get it going, even to use just as a basic support for a Roon system.

#274418 - 2018-03-21 04:02 Re: Control:15 Problems [Re: Zam]
Mr_Gimlet Offline
Hitchhiker
Mr_Gimlet Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
They were some quite dramatic fixes... Can/could you access the Control:15 through Control:PC on a PC?

Main system: 861v6, HD621, Oppo 103D, DSP8000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP3200, SGR Sub
Family room: Control:15, DSP5200
#274420 - 2018-03-21 05:43 Re: Control:15 Problems [Re: Mr_Gimlet]
Zam Offline
Harmless
Zam Offline
Harmless

Loc: Sydney, Australia
For some reason, when I try to open Control:Mac, it asks me for a password, but there's no way of even setting up an account.

Anyway, I think the HDD must be corrupted, which is stopping the system from booting up. Thus, I can only presume the way to get around it is to rebuild the original 500GB HDD, or slip in a newer 1TB HDD partitioned with the correct Meridian Sooloos software to allow it to boot up and run again.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Otherwise, can the HDD be salvaged? I'm not a computer geek, and tend to use Mac, but I do have access to a PC. It just seems like a rather simple and typical computer failure, putting an end to what would be an amazing streaming system. If this was a MacBook, I'd just slip in a new HDD, or SSD, load up whatever OS I could get my hands on, and I'd be set for another 5 years or so.

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
7 registered (123hifiman, LeeRankin, Step635, RobertW, JohnMcElfresh, David Haworth), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Uffe, NWD73, HenkHaas, GrahamAvison, JimO
4619 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 62
Rick415 45
Carl 37
Laserblues2 35
CMB Integrations - Bruce 31
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12300
Fiddler 8671
ncpl 8414
Carl 7649
Ian 7420
Forum Stats
4,619 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,692 Topics
252,902 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant