Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#271580 - 2018-01-09 15:36 Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced
AudioImages - Rick Offline
Meridian Partner Knows where his towel is
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Sheffield, England
Hi All,

Details starting to emerge on a trade-up promotion for existing HD621 customers wishing to upgrade to the UHD722.

UHD722 Trade-in Promotion on Meridian Website

Meridian UHD722 Datasheet (provisional)

More to follow

Rick

Audio Images, 284 Glossop Road, Sheffield, England. Tel: 0114 273 7893
Website: www.audio-images.co.uk Email: Click here to email Rick
Twitter: Audio Images
Edited by AudioImages - Rick; 2018-01-09 15:38.
#271581 - 2018-01-09 15:53 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic

Loc: nr. Milton Keynes, UK
All I wanted was vanilla DD/DTS decoding... frown

Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#271582 - 2018-01-09 16:22 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: VirusKiller]
Not'arf Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Not'arf Offline

Loc: Abruzzo, Italy
It appears that the amount offered will be down to the individual dealer. Best guess, based on ticket price of £2,000?

£600?

Audio: MC200, G61R SL, HD621, DSP5500, 5000C, DSP3100. Subs: 2 x REL G2.
Video: JVC X70, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen 129"(2.35).

Meridian owner since 1998
#271584 - 2018-01-09 16:32 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Update on pricing...

The UHD722 will retail for £2,000 inc VAT.
Against this an HD621 will fetch £500 as a trade-in, making the balance to swap £1,500.

Stocks are expected towards the end of February, and will be supplied on a first-come first-served basis.
Please contact your Meridian Dealer to secure your place in the list!

Cheers,

Rick

#271590 - 2018-01-09 17:24 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Ouch! At half that I may be tempted......

I can't really see what value this adds that can't be achieved at a significantly lower cost elsewhere. The HD621 added functionality and value to what were at the time current processors whereas this just upgrades HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 for what can only now be considered to be legacy processors. What am I missing here as a current Meridian processor and HD621 owner?

At that price if I wanted to keep my DSPs why wouldn't I just sell my G61RSL/HD621 combination and add the £1500 and not too much £ on top and get something like a spanking new Marantz AV7704 with a 271? Surely for not much extra I would gain a whole lot more functionality, including access to things like Atmos, and actually have current support from the manufacturers. Value for money just seems to be much lower than when the HD621 was launched given the current environment.

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Cheer,

Anthony.

Sources: MS600, G98DH, Oppo BDP-93, HTPC, Roon
Processors: G61RSL, HD621, Lumagen 4020
Speakers: DSP5200SL FL/FR, DSP5200VC C, DSP3200 SL/SR, DSP3200 RL/RR, DSW
#271591 - 2018-01-09 18:11 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
CMB Integrations - Bruce Offline
Meridian Partner Pan-dimensional being
Meridian Partner
Pan-dimensional being

Loc: Lexington, South Carolina, USA
It is a 4k solution for the HD621 and nothing more.

www.cmbintegrations.com

Personal System #1 Theta Digital Cassablanca 4, 818v3, 218, DSP8000.2SE, DSP7200SEHC, Boston Acoustics Lynnfield 500L series 2, Monitor Audio Silver 10, ATI 200WX5 Amp, JVC RS15, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. QNAP TS-251 3TB
Personal System #2 F80.

Crestron control and multi room audio via Meridian 258 amplifiers.
#271595 - 2018-01-09 19:57 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, UK
Anthony

Assuming you can comprehend that other people may want to keep their 861s and Gxx (Do you need to go from Digital to analogue and back to digital again in your suggested scenario?) then that would be a reason. This is a niche product that won't be benefiting from economies of scale. Yes its expensive. How much cheaper would you like it to be?

Are you going to buy the Marantz?

Cheers
Tom

Main: G68J, 218 HD621, 3*5200s (2 SE L&R),DSW, 2* Reviver, 3200s,SBT, PS4, Amazon TV Fire, Dune Base 3.0, Xbox, NUC (Roon server & Kodi)
Kitchen: 5200s, SBT, Chromecast
Office: A330i, G41, Explorer2,Velodyne CT120
F80s, M60s
#271597 - 2018-01-09 20:49 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Manhattan, NYC, USA
i'd like it to be $750 w/ trade in. i know, i know, that's a shockingly cheap price in the M-verse, and yet it's still a lot in the real world given what it actually does (in 2018) given what's out there.

#271598 - 2018-01-09 20:49 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By GMT
Anthony

Assuming you can comprehend that other people may want to keep their 861s and Gxx (Do you need to go from Digital to analogue and back to digital again in your suggested scenario?) then that would be a reason. This is a niche product that won't be benefiting from economies of scale. Yes its expensive. How much cheaper would you like it to be?

Are you going to buy the Marantz?

Cheers
Tom

Not quite sure why the hostility but I will indulge you.

I can completely understand why someone may want to keep their existing Meridian processor. However I suggest that there are much more cost effective or value for money ways of incorporating HDMI 2.0 sources into an existing setup that already has an HD621. I suspect that most people who would be interested in a UHD722 already have an HD621.

I don't see how economies of scale are relevant when the important point is value for money. Any added cost of such a solution have as much to do with architectural decisions as anything else. As to price. Well £1000-1250 would seem reasonable with a final £750-1000 upgrade price. But reasonable is all subjective.

Of course I need to go from Digital to analogue and back to digital if I am to keep my DSPs. Can you comprehend why I may want to keep my existing DSPs???

It isn't my suggested scenario so much as Meridians. As to my purchasing decisions I don't feel obliged to comment but as I contended earlier I would get much more for my money (Including 7x HDMI 2.0 in and 2x out) if I sold my G61RSL/HD621 combination added the £1500 to the proceeds and then topped it up by £x. Unless the resale of the G61RSL/HD621 is next to nothing or the 271 is disproportionately expensive then that £x gets me a lot of value in my opinion. All I would then need to enjoy the new 3D formats would be 4x DSP320s.

In any case I asked a fair question if I was missing something and I now have my answer.

Many thanks,

Anthony.

#271599 - 2018-01-09 20:53 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

the resale value of any G series plus HD621 is abysmal; one only has to take gander at my eBay/restaurant listing to confirm (current bid is $450 for a mint g68d with a few days to go).

in other words, you don't buy electronics expecting to not incur tremendous depreciation and the higher the high end, the greater the losses, esp in ultra-niche brands.

sad, but true.

edit: don't feel bad bc you could have bought an 861v1 in like 1997 for $20k, which in today's inflation adjusted world is like over $40k! and then you would have updated it up to 3 times and good luck unloading it for $2k in 2018 dollars cry grin laugh

#271600 - 2018-01-09 21:36 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Originally Posted By Anthony-Howard
Not quite sure why the hostility but I will indulge you.
Apologies Anthony - I've been reading a number of messages on forums recently where there seems to be a threat of dumping a product/ not purchasing a subscription because there individual need isn't being met (as if it applies to everyone) - in this case not being able to see why other people would want this product regardless of the price. Its been grating for a while and you got the grumpy response.

I can completely understand why someone may want to keep their existing Meridian processor. However I suggest that there are much more cost effective or value for money ways of incorporating HDMI 2.0 sources into an existing setup that already has an HD621. I suspect that most people who would be interested in a UHD722 already have an HD621.

I don't see how economies of scale are relevant when the important point is value for money. Any added cost of such a solution have as much to do with architectural decisions as anything else. As to price. Well £1000-1250 would seem reasonable with a final £750-1000 upgrade price. But reasonable is all subjective.
We buy low volume hardware - R&D and custom components have a high overhead that isn't going to be covered by a small number of sales, so either you have an expensive product or no product for current processors.

Of course I need to go from Digital to analogue and back to digital if I am to keep my DSPs. Can you comprehend why I may want to keep my existing DSPs???
I can comprehend why you might want to keep your DSPs, speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to compromise my system by doing this. It feels like its defeating the object of having a digital system. Maybe the majority of people feel the same way.

It isn't my suggested scenario so much as Meridians. As to my purchasing decisions I don't feel obliged to comment but as I contended earlier I would get much more for my money (Including 7x HDMI 2.0 in and 2x out) if I sold my G61RSL/HD621 combination added the £1500 to the proceeds and then topped it up by £x. Unless the resale of the G61RSL/HD621 is next to nothing or the 271 is disproportionately expensive then that £x gets me a lot of value in my opinion. All I would then need to enjoy the new 3D formats would be 4x DSP320s.

In any case I asked a fair question if I was missing something and I now have my answer.
I can see why this could be seen as a good alternative and I'm sure that it would still sound good.

Cheers
Tom

Main: G68J, 218 HD621, 3*5200s (2 SE L&R),DSW, 2* Reviver, 3200s,SBT, PS4, Amazon TV Fire, Dune Base 3.0, Xbox, NUC (Roon server & Kodi)
F80s, M60s
#271607 - 2018-01-09 22:16 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker

Originally Posted By GMT
I can comprehend why you might want to keep your DSPs, speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to compromise my system by doing this. It feels like its defeating the object of having a digital system. Maybe the majority of people feel the same way.
In what way would I be compromising my existing system?

It does seem to defeat the object but it is the only relatively affordable solution (Or at least affordable to me) that Meridian are offering unless they would rather I get rid of my entire Meridian system. It isn't ideal but if I want 3D audio then it is only really a compromise when compared to Trinnov/Datasat/Storm and the compromise carries a sizeable cost benefit. Besides which what I lose in an added DA/AD conversion I might gain from other things such as Audyssey and DSD support. Even if it doesn't sound any better, and I would be happy with just as good, I gain a whole lot of added functionality. I suspect that not many people are in a position yet to be able to compare absolute sound quality between the two approaches though. Meridian certainly seem happy to put their name beside such a solution and demonstrate it accordingly.

I do however suspect that even if something like a Marantz was just a stopgap until a more affordable all digital solution comes along that such a solution is much more likely to come from another manufacturer in combination with a 271 than from an all Meridian system. In that sense I see the 271 as having greater longevity than a UHD722 which certainly gives it more appeal from a cost point of view. If only Meridian were to offer a similar HD621 to 271 trade.......

In any case this is veering from the topic of this thread somewhat.

Many thanks,

Anthony.

#271608 - 2018-01-09 22:40 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

It sounds like it wouldn't compromise your system but for me and I expect a number of people that have bought into the Meridian philosophy, will feel that it is a compromise. If your preference is video rather than music then it may be less important.

This exert is from meridian-digital-signal-processing-dsp-path-white-paper

Digital audio technology is now widely regarded by industry experts as the best means to hear music in the home. Because music recorded digitally can be transmitted, even over long distances, and played back with no change from the original, like Morse code over a telegraph line.

Why is this important? Traditional analogue systems behave much like the childhood game in which each player repeats a whispered message into the next player’s ear, and so on down a chain. Each analogue link – turntable, amplifier, cable, speaker – whispers an analogy of what it hears to the next, but something is always lost or added. What emerges at the end, while charming, may not resemble the original message.

By contrast, digital audio first encodes music as digits – ones and zeros – in patterns describing specific sound waves. This is the binary language of computers, and it’s very difficult to mistake a one for a zero. No matter how long the chain, at its end, digital equipment listens only for patterns of those two digits, which it reassembles into music, ignoring all other whispered information as noise. Hence the crystal clarity of good digital sound: no detail lost, no noise added.

Paramount among audiophile truths is that music’s electronic journey to our ears should be as short and unadorned as possible; this preserves the fragile nuances of live performance. This is why, for example, audiophiles have long rejected analogue tone controls, correctly seeing them as electrical mazes where musical subtleties are lost or rearranged.

Yet the typical ‘purist hi-fi’ is hardly pure. Rather, it’s a confusion of components with varying reactive properties, tangled together through a rat’s nest of electrically whimsical cables. Each piece lengthens the path and damages delicate harmonic, phase and other relationships that contour music. The amusing irony is, these boxes and cables are generally assembled for tone control: each piece chosen for how its voice changes the message. Why not simply replace the whole corrupt chain with one transparent digital link, particularly if the music source is digital already?

At Meridian, that’s exactly what we did. In essence, we decided to convert the signal from a source into digital form as early as possible and at the highest level of quality (if it wasn’t already), then maintain that signal in digital form as long as possible before converting back to analogue (although the part of our hearing system from middle ear to brain is actually digital, analogue pressure waves carry the sound from a loudspeaker, through the air, to the ear). So in a complete Meridian system, the signal is only converted from digital to analogue immediately before it enters the amplifier.

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271610 - 2018-01-09 22:55 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: Norwich, UK
Originally Posted By GMT
Apologies Anthony - I've been reading a number of messages on forums recently where there seems to be a threat of dumping a product/ not purchasing a subscription because there individual need isn't being met (as if it applies to everyone) - in this case not being able to see why other people would want this product regardless of the price. Its been grating for a while and you got the grumpy response.
The problem is Tom, Meridian's tight lipped approach to future products and where that leaves customers with a rather sizeable investment, starts to get seriously frustrating.
Many of us can only afford to move to the next item if the last one still has some decent value on the used market, currently the lack of confidence is seeing much of the Meridian product almost worthless.

Not sure if you were talking about the Tidal subscriptions?
But I was never knocking Tidal or Roon, far from it, I love them and happy to pay for it, my concern was, after buying some kit and using 'other' hifi forums I soon realised that I am a minority, many are not happy to pay for Roon or even pay for Tidal to get lossless. I was amazed at this.

I didn't realise the 271 was £1500, that is actually quite a keen price. Like you though I much prefer to keep it all digital, so prefer the idea of an HD722, although... having said that, when I got the HD621 I actually preferred the sound into my G68 via the analogue out of my Denon player over going digital-HD621-G68.
But, I would want to hear if there was any loss going from another brands pre out into a 271. My gut feeling is a little bit of the Meridian magic would be lost?

No Darling, I've had it months!
#271611 - 2018-01-09 23:18 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: gIzzE]
Bee Offline
Hitchhiker
Bee Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Bedfordshire, UK
Did anyone manage to find out the spec of the HDMI inputs/outputs? Are they 2.0 or will they be the newly released 2.1?

Thanks, Edd
#271612 - 2018-01-09 23:22 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: gIzzE]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Hi Guy

I can understand that frustration and no not a reference to your Tidal comments. If you go on the Roon forum every day someone says something like 'I can't believe Chromecast is not supported, I will be demanding my money back' or making the play button larger will push me into buying a lifetime subscription etc. After a while it starts to feel like the spoilt kid at school that threatens to go home if he doesn't get his way whilst not realising that nobody gives a [censored] if they go! (Not that I thought this of Anthony, just got me in a grump)

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271613 - 2018-01-09 23:35 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is

Haha, "play button bigger".

#271614 - 2018-01-09 23:57 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker

I don't need to be patronised thanks. I bought into the Meridian ideology so don't need to be sold it. I already have it.

The fact that the 271 exists and has analogue inputs says much. I would rather an all digital solution but that is not exactly comparable in terms of costs and so is not affordable. So where is the compromise in the real world? I would suggest that aside from the obvious theoretical, which may or may not translate into something tangible in the real world, that any perceived compromise is just that until one can directly compare the two solutions. Has anybody outside of Meridian and maybe a few select partners/individuals done that?

I certainly have not but I am not naive enough to think that the G61RSL is so fantastic that any compromises caused by a DA/AD can't be made up for by other things in the system. Technology moves on and the G61RSL probably can't be considered either state of the art or class leading anymore. If there is a compromise then maybe it is more of an issue with an 861? Then again in 861 territory I wouldn't be considering a Marantz....

As it stands there are 5 options as I see it:

1. Keep things as they are.
2. Make HDMI 2.0 / 4K sources work with the G61RSL and forgo the audio formats that they bring in which case I can it much cheaper than a UHD722 unless I don't have an HD621 which I, and I suspect most other Meridian processor owners, do.
3. Put the UHD722 cost into an analogue 'compromised' 271 solution but gain lots of functionality if nothing else.
4. Put the UHD722 into a digital solution.
5. Move away from Meridian altogether.

If I want 3D audio then only options 3-5 are in the running. 4 is too expensive and 5 is undesirable which leaves option 3. What are the real world compromises with this? I doubt many can answer with experience including me but I suspect they are less than some would think and I lose nothing by having a listen. In any case this is way off the point now so I will stop but I still contend that the UHD722 looks damn expensive when the practical alternatives are considered. Like I said I can do similar UHD722 functionality much cheaper but if I want to spend that kind of money then a 271 opens up a world of 3D audio and is a different beast altogether. Why would I spend the money on a UHD722 to be constrained by my legacy EoL processor with its support of legacy formats? Lets be honest here when to get things like MQA I have to bypass it altogether I have to question its future so why would I want to buy into a UHD722 at the cost that it is just to try and keep it going a little longer? If I am happy to be stuck in a non 3D audio world my outlook might be different......

Many thanks,

Anthony.

#271615 - 2018-01-10 00:11 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Anthony

Apologies again if you feel patronised that wasn't my intention. When you questioned the compromise I thought it would be easier to make my point by quoting the paper. As I said I don't think it will be a compromise to your system as it seems that your priorities are different to mine. I am not interested in 3D sound and I'm not certain that all potential UHD722 customers are either. I wouldn't read to much into the 271 having analogue inputs - these would have been primarily added for compatibility issues rather than to give the customer the option to take an analogue connection from a device that also has a digital one.

Maybe others will chip in.

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271616 - 2018-01-10 02:12 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Akimo Offline
Hitchhiker
Akimo Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: San Jose, California, USA
If we take the heat out of this conversation (God help us), it's a great example of us all having different priorities for our systems.

For my purposes:
1. When watching video, I'm currently 100% happy with the sound quality I get out of my system, and am not concerned about a lack of support for the newer formats. They might very well offer greater emotional engagement, but I don't feel a lack in that currently, so I'd welcome new formats, but won't be concerned if they don't arrive for a very long (i.e. typically M frame) period.

2. For music, I feel like we are still lightyears away from fully engaging home reproduction, with MQA being a very bright light that we're just beginning to benefit from. For me, gizzE's comment about M's silence really hits home as MQA support for the 861 is where I need M to go to make the platform worthwhile for the long term.

Living room: 818v3, Audio Research VS 110, Maggie 1.6, REL sub
A/V room: 861v8, DSP7200SE L/R/C, 4x DSP320 surrounds, ID41 + Roon, Prime+PS
#271617 - 2018-01-10 07:49 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Cliff. Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: South Wiltshire, UK
Regarding the above discussion, I'm not clear why you would need the 722 if going down the 271 route. Surely you would partner the 271 with a processor which has all the functionality of the 722? I am surprised at the cost of the 722 given how little it does - you could get a Lumagen Pro model for not much more.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post - I missed the 'cost' bit

The 271 has analogue inputs because the vast majority of partner processors don't have digital outputs. FWIW, in the instances where I have added an A-D conversion in the chain, I found the SQ impact to be negligible.

Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Edited by Cliff.; 2018-01-10 07:58. Edit Reason: Corrected and added a bit
#271619 - 2018-01-10 08:07 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Cliff.]
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic
VirusKiller Offline
Don't Panic

Loc: nr. Milton Keynes, UK
I'd quite like to know if Meridian is doing any analysis of the analogue inputs (e.g. noise floor detection to recognize the (off-the-shelf) DAC used) to correct for that when re-digitizing. After all, they are very much the experts in this area. If they are, they should publish that info!

Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#271622 - 2018-01-10 08:47 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: VirusKiller]
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Ian Offline

Loc: Surrey, England, UK
It amazes me sometimes that some may feel hard done by the cost of the upgrade by comparing it with cheaper available alternatives, yet at other times they may have justified their choices of high end products based on sometimes marginal sound quality improvements.

The only investment in Meridian audio products is the time and emotion in getting it setup, looking nice and sounding in a way to justify the financial expense - you cannot even justify the looking nice with some kit now unless you install it neatly out of sight. Anything monetary should be treated as if throwing it down a wishing well.

Meridian owner since 1992
DSP5000 96/24, MC200, Prime & PSU, Focal Elear, Explorer 1 & 2, F80, 200/203 and various Sonos.
#271623 - 2018-01-10 09:06 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ian]
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is
gIzzE Offline
Knows where his towel is

The big difference though was, we paid Meridian money to be at the forefront of digital technology, it was a price you paid if you wanted to be at the cutting edge.

Now we are paying for...........?

I'm not saying we are not getting something special, just that it would be nice if they told us we were or not.

#271625 - 2018-01-10 11:36 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Syles Offline
Syles Offline

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By meridian-digital-signal-processing-dsp-path-white-paper
a rat’s nest of electrically whimsical cables.
Love it...

-
#271628 - 2018-01-10 12:40 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Syles]
Fitcaz Offline
Hitchhiker
Fitcaz Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: SE England
....zzz. Anyway thanks Rick for the information.

#271640 - 2018-01-10 16:48 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Bee]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Originally Posted By Bee
Did anyone manage to find out the spec of the hdmi inputs/outputs? Are they 2.0 or will they be the newly released 2.1?

Hi Edd,

The two HDMI outputs are different specifications, one is HDMI 1.4, the other HDMI 2.0.
All the 7 inputs are HDMI 2.0

Thanks,

Rick

#271646 - 2018-01-10 18:23 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
Jon Raines Offline
Paranoid android
Jon Raines Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Peterborough, UK
Will the HDMI 2.0 chipset be firmware upgradable to 2.1 when available?

596, 504, 568.2mm, 562v2, 551, DSP5Ks smileys+3dB, DSP5.5kHC smiley, DSP420's, DSP33s, DSW1500, Samsung 52", Sky Q, 3x512, 3xKef ceiling speakers, 2xMSR+custom keys, Mac Mini, Modded Edge v1.6, ATV2, vMSR, Amazon FireTV4k. Oppo 203 next
#271651 - 2018-01-10 18:58 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ian]
Stephan Offline
Hitchhiker
Stephan Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Usually nr. Frankfurt, Germany
Quote:
It amazes me sometimes that some may feel hard done by the cost of the upgrade by comparing it with cheaper available alternatives, yet at other times they may have justified their choices of high end products based on sometimes marginal sound quality improvements.

It's not the cost of the upgrade, it's not knowing what's coming next. That can be said for any manufacturer, but with Meridian it's become a little annoying over the past few years. When I bought into Meridian I knew they'd be among the first to bring new technology into my home. These days, they're years behind others. I'd happily buy the 722 for retail if they'd tell me I could still use with with a 861v10 or a new processor that supports the new formats and that such a processor is in the works, even if it takes them another two years or so to release it. But at this point I have to assume that when (if) a Meridian solution arrives one day, it might require to replace the 722 again, be it for decoding the new formats or simply pass through the bitstream via MMHR.

Given that 4k switching in an external box hooked up to an existing HD621 can be done for under £250, it might be the better temporary solution (again, we don't know if the 722 will have to be replaced "soon").
The fact that the 271 is available for the same price as the 722 with trade-in is tempting for those who want the new formats and it's probably what I'd do if I wanted the new formats right now and a Marantz processor isn't that expensive and would probably make a good temporary solution until Meridian comes up with a solution of their own. If that's not gonna happen, then any "cheap" processor can still be replaced by Trinnov/Datasat/whatever for a fully digital system.

- Stephan
#271652 - 2018-01-10 19:14 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Stephan]
Ludwig Offline
Ludwig Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By Stephan
It's not the cost of the upgrade, it's not knowing what's coming next. That can be said for any manufacturer, but with Meridian it's become a little annoying over the past few years. When I bought into Meridian I knew they'd be among the first to bring new technology into my home. These days, they're years behind others. I'd happily buy the 722 for retail if they'd tell me I could still use with with a 861v10 or a new processor that supports the new formats and that such a processor is in the works, even if it takes them another two years or so to release it.
Well said. I don't understand why they can't at this crucial (it seems to me) juncture, share some information about their intentions. At the moment it's anyone's guess whether they will be in the processor market at all after the 861v8.

Ex-moderator
Sitting room: 818v3, 8kSE
Office: 818v3, Stax SRM-T1, Stax SR404LE
TV room: HD621, 518, D33
Kitchen: MS200, Genelec 6010 actives
Server: Roon/NUC/Touchscreen

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
#271665 - 2018-01-11 07:56 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ludwig]
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Was it HDMI 2.0a or 2.0b?

Was cost mentioned?

Future ID80 with video owner!
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8/ID41, MC200, Sim2 HT380 T2 1080P, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 with Wireworld Platinum HDMI -> HD621 -> Audioquest Diamond RJ45. Shunyata Sigma Digital@861v8.
#271666 - 2018-01-11 08:06 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Crion]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

No information on the HDMI version, costs are stated earlier in this thread, £2000 less £500 trade in for HD621 if you chose to.

#271667 - 2018-01-11 09:13 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: South West, UK
Quick question... I haven't updated MConfig in *many* years as it works "as is" with all my existing kit. I'm assuming I'll have to update though if I want to use the 722, but am wondering whether this will break my setup?!

#271668 - 2018-01-11 09:25 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Mark_H]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

Hi Mark

Yes you will have to update it, can you download the latest version onto a different Windows PC and then try to open your current config file with it?

#271670 - 2018-01-11 10:08 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is
Mark_H Offline
Knows where his towel is

Loc: South West, UK
Yep, will try before I buy!

#271683 - 2018-01-11 15:32 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Mark_H]
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: nr. Paris, France
I am very chocked by the price tag requested for the UHD722 vs the functions it delivers... HDMI 2.0 not 2.1.

I really don t know what to do with my Meridian system, I feel abandoned by Meridian, I spent sooooo much money, and honestly not benefiting a lot from it.

That is my whining time ... but discovering the price tag of 2000 pounds for a simple HDMI switch... wow!

G65, 598DP, HD621, DSP5200SE Front LR&C, cable TV
#271684 - 2018-01-11 15:46 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Sapiens]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

+1

wow is an understatement. seriously.

$750 w/ trade in is already seriously pushing it, given that r&d for this kind of switcher box has been done years upon years ago and the HDMI tech is ubiquitous, while mmhr just can't command the premium it did when the HD621 was released.

just bc you're conditioned to being fleeced, doesn't make it right for every stop-gap product release.

#271685 - 2018-01-11 15:53 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: _M_]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

What's the alternative product that supports Meridian processors?

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271687 - 2018-01-11 16:02 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

I agree with _M_ With the apparent loss of value in Meridian used kit and lack of any roadmap to let people know if Meridian will even be in the surround processor market in the future, this kind of pricing makes people consider alternative products.

Edited by Ratbert; 2018-01-11 16:19.
#271688 - 2018-01-11 16:07 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

I agree - So what are the alternatives if you want to keep an M processor?

F80s, M60s
#271689 - 2018-01-11 16:14 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

Well if you don’t want the new codecs stick with the HD621.

Personally I sold my Meridian surround setup and went Meridian 2 channel with a view to putting a Japanese surround processor in, however, after a few months of faffing about I realised I didn’t miss the surround at all and just connected the stereo pair to my front speakers admittedly they were DSP8000SE’s. However they have now been sold and for movies I use an LG ‘Atmos’ soundbar which is more than sufficient for my needs YMMV.

Russ

#271690 - 2018-01-11 16:26 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

What if I want 4k and don't care about the new codecs, but still want 5.1 surround?
Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271691 - 2018-01-11 16:28 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
Albert Offline
Paranoid android
Albert Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Shanghai, China
Would the UHD722 carries lower jitter than the HD621?

HT: Audiocom Oppo203 signature, 861v8, DSP6Ks(LCR), DSP5000.1
Revel b112*2 b110*2 AntimodeX4 JVCx570
#271692 - 2018-01-11 16:28 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Jon Raines Offline
Paranoid android
Jon Raines Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: Peterborough, UK
Originally Posted By GMT
What's the alternative product that supports Meridian processors?
Well if your just needing it for Bluray/UHDand own the Oppo 203 you can fit the Vanity 203 HD card and use anybody's 4K HDMI splitter.

596, 504, 568.2mm, 562v2, 551, DSP5Ks smileys+3dB, DSP5.5kHC smiley, DSP420's, DSP33s, DSW1500, Samsung 52", Sky Q, 3x512, 3xKef ceiling speakers, 2xMSR+custom keys, Mac Mini, Modded Edge v1.6, ATV2, vMSR, Amazon FireTV4k. Oppo 203 next
#271693 - 2018-01-11 16:30 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Albert Offline
Paranoid android
Albert Offline
Paranoid android

You could just buy a Oppo 203 (700 USD), using the second HDMI output (audio only) to feed your HD621.

#271694 - 2018-01-11 16:39 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Albert]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

Great suggestion Albert, Oppo 203 is a superb machine.

#271695 - 2018-01-11 16:44 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Can I run multiple 4K sources through the Oppo? (which I don’t own) smile

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271696 - 2018-01-11 16:51 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

Here is an Oppo 203 review

Quote:
Around the back is a hugely impressive selection of ports. You get two HDMI outputs (one 1.4 for audio only and the other 2.0 for video and audio) and a single HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2, so you can hook up a Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick to add smart features.

There are optical and coaxial digital audio outputs, a pair of USB 3.0 ports for connecting hard disks and thumb drives and eight phono output ports for surround sound connection to older home theatre receivers.

#271697 - 2018-01-11 17:03 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Looks interesting .. There seemed to be an HDMI in but no reference to it in the review. I'm guessing multiple 4K sources would have to include an extra 4K switch as well.

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271698 - 2018-01-11 17:11 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

I guess so, I just use mine for playing BD and as a Roon endpoint smile

#271699 - 2018-01-11 17:19 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Albert]
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer
Crion Offline
Senior Shouting Officer

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By Albert
Would the UHD722 carries lower jitter than the HD621?
It could possibly be just by updating the HDMI chipset from 1.4 to 2.0 level if jitter wins have been made in the HDMI chipset designs over the years. If we are able to detect it that is a different story.

It would have been nice if they would have a linear PSU in it though since that usually keeps noise even lower and is more listenable to the ear. Since this thing actually costs 2000£ and goes into high-end setups.

Future ID80 with video owner!
DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8/ID41, MC200, Sim2 HT380 T2 1080P, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, HDI Dune BD Prime 3.0 with Wireworld Platinum HDMI -> HD621 -> Audioquest Diamond RJ45. Shunyata Sigma Digital@861v8.
#271700 - 2018-01-11 17:24 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Albert Offline
Paranoid android
Albert Offline
Paranoid android

If you mean 4k game, the latency will be too long, what else?
For Netflix 4k, I think you could directly connect to your HD621.

#271705 - 2018-01-11 19:01 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: GMT]
Stephan Offline
Hitchhiker
Stephan Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Usually nr. Frankfurt, Germany
Originally Posted By GMT
What if I want 4k and don't care about the new codecs, but still want 5.1 surround?
You can either buy a source with two HDMI outputs, where one output is used for audio to the HD621 or...
buy a HDFURY (Integral or Vertex) to remove all the handshaking/copy protection nonesense. That way your source will work with the HD621 and not tell you that a non-compatible device is connected.

One output goes to the TV/projector, the other into the HD621. The video connection from the HD621 to the TV/projector is not required anymore. If you need more inputs, then add an additional HDMI switch before the HDFURY. If you have a single programmable remote, this is really no different than using the regular M remote, even though you're hiding one/two additional devices in the rack.

- Stephan
#271706 - 2018-01-11 19:02 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Sapiens]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Hi All,

Reading the comments a few seem to have missed the pertinent role of the HD621 and UDP722.

These aren't HDMI switches.
(Well they are, I know, but I shall explain)

They are designed as Meridian's way to get the best sound from Blu-ray.
Think of them as a box containing the 'special sauce' that Meridian would have added into a Meridian Blu-ray if they had made one.

They take the multi-channel PCM soundtrack from DTS Master and Dolby True-HD off the HDMI signal, upsample and apodise it to 96/24, and pass it on to the surround controller.
This job is done in the HD621/UHD722 as it keeps the jittery HDMI signal away from the other signals in the controller, and as soon as possible in the chain to maximise performance.

It's more by way of convenience that they have multiple HDMI inputs, but that's not their raison d'etre.

Rick

#271707 - 2018-01-11 19:21 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

so it takes the signal and upsamples and apodises it to the processor which upsamples and apodises that and then sends it to the DSP speakers which upsample and apodise that?

so it's really old preexisting M "special sauce" from the HD621 that's now being used in its replacement. the issue is that the price-point is wildly high for this kind of tech, esp when an Oppo 203 that was mentioned is delivered to your door for under $600 and has far more tech in it.

does all the complaining make better sense now?

#271709 - 2018-01-11 19:54 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: _M_]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

The upsample/apodising is only done once in the chain, and it's best done as soon as possible.
The surround controller and speakers don't do this upsampling again, although may upsample other sources fed directly into them rather than from the HD621/UHD722.

A Blu-ray player can only output the native multichannel PCM via its HDMI output, due to copyright protection HDCP.
Hence the HD621, gets at this audio signal as soon as it can from the HDMI, upsamples and apodises, and passes it on to the surround controller.
It's all about maximising the audio performance.

Without it you are limited to inferior audio streams due to Copy Protection.

UHD722 and HD621 are the same in this regard, the UHD722 is simply the current 4k capable version.

Rick

#271710 - 2018-01-11 20:07 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker
RGraham Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: London, UK
Can I just clarify that if you have two 4k display devices - I have an LG OLED TV and Optoma UHD Projector in the same room - the UHD722 will not supply 4k to both?

Thanks,

Richard

Zone 1: 861v8+ID41, 818V3, HD621, DSP7200SE, DSP5200SE
Zone 2: 818v3, DSP7000, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Hifiman HE-6
Zone 3: 818v3, Roon ROCK/NUCi7, Densen B-330, Monitor Audio PL 200
#271712 - 2018-01-11 20:18 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: RGraham]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Hi Richard,

The HDMI 1.4 socket on the UHD722 does allow 4k, but not HDR which I expect both your display devices will handle,
nor HDCP2.2 which they may well both expect.

So you'll need to use the HDMI 2.0 output of the UHD722 and then split it to your two displays.

This Wyrestorm HDMI Splitter, which we sell, would do the job.

Cheers,
Rick

#271713 - 2018-01-11 20:52 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo
Ratbert Offline
Hooloovoo

Hi Rick

Thanks for explaining, I assume the board used in the UHD722 is bought in and so Meridian are stuck with 1x HDMI 1.4 and 1x HDMI 2.0 outputs, not what you would ideally choose to have.

Russ

#271716 - 2018-01-11 22:04 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

thanks for the reply Rick. i was being a smart ass re: switcher, processor and speakers having same features, so apologies.

i'll most likely end up getting this apodizing and upsamling switcher at some point anyhow, so....

#271725 - 2018-01-12 11:26 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: _M_]
Fitcaz Offline
Hitchhiker
Fitcaz Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: SE England
So it's a UHD721½ since it only has one HDMI 2.0 output.

#271730 - 2018-01-12 12:44 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Fitcaz]
SomeGuy Offline
Hitchhiker
SomeGuy Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I understand the frustrations of those questioning whether it's the end of the road for the 861 or not. I'd like to know too!

If v8 is the last upgrade for the 861, I'm still happy to buy the UHD722 so I can install a 4K projector and get another 4-5 years out of the 861. I don't know of anything else that would give me better sound for 2-channel (love Trifield) and surround sound than the 861v8.

Rather than invest in equipment for movie audio formats that may or may not make it in the long run, I'll stick with what's proven to me for now. I don't need to chase every new format with large investments into gear. M has a smart approach in working on making the proven / standard audio formats sound better than anyone and ignoring the noise. I'm a music lover first, so the sound with movies is just the icing on the cake for me.

I have a HD621 to trade in. What is the UHD722 cost and HD621 trade-in value in the states?

Is a group buy being setup?

Speakers: B&W's - 800D (2), HTM1D, CCM817 (4), JL Fathom (2)
Amps: MC501 (3) & Adcom 7500
Pre/Pro: Meridian 861v8
Sources: Sooloos/Roon, Kaleidescape
#271731 - 2018-01-12 12:51 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Ratbert]
Meridian Partner
Knows where his towel is

Originally Posted By Ratbert
Hi Rick
Thanks for explaining, I assume the board used in the UHD722 is bought in and so Meridian are stuck with 1x HDMI 1.4 and 1x HDMI 2.0 outputs, not what you would ideally choose to have.
Russ
Hi Russ,

Yes the HDMI video is bought as a complete board, and was of the highest specification available off the shelf.
Meridian could have fitted a bespoke one to a higher specification but that would have made the UHD722 much more expensive.

Rick

#271733 - 2018-01-12 14:00 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

much more expensive than already way too expensive. lol

#271734 - 2018-01-12 14:13 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: SomeGuy]
Albert Offline
Paranoid android
Albert Offline
Paranoid android

+1

For me I don't really care the modern codec things, but hope M can add modern RC to the 861, actually I feel the MRC was a very good start, why not carry on?

I visited a local friend with new installed Arcam 860, sound wise I think it can not even beat the 568.2, but the DIRAC (impulse correction) really impressed me, we watched the David Fuster with his friend, heard the bass I never heard on my system.

Sorry for the off topic

#271785 - 2018-01-13 11:50 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: VirusKiller]
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure
Gianni Offline
Great Green Arkleseizure

Loc: North London, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By VirusKiller
All I wanted was vanilla DD/DTS decoding... frown
Quite. It would have been a reason for me to purchase the original HD621 too. Was the cost of licensing (sorry I cannot find the reference) really the deal-breaker on this facility?

Kalman Rubinson's experiments with multichannel MQA suggest that they may become a commercial possibility. HDMI seems like a reasonable choice (commercially, not technically, given its ubiquity on disc players and streaming end-points) for delivering multi-channel MQA files. I was rather hoping for the UHD722 to offer some hints about MQA-related facilities.

Various DSP speakers and Meridian processors
#271813 - 2018-01-13 19:56 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Gianni]
GMT Offline
GMT Offline

Originally Posted By Stephan
You can either buy a source with two HDMI outputs, where one output is used for audio to the HD621 or...
buy a HDFURY (Integral or Vertex) to remove all the handshaking/copy protection nonesense. That way your source will work with the HD621 and not tell you that a non-compatible device is connected.
That's not bad, but you could end up with three devices and limited comms. One to consider though.

Originally Posted By albert
If you mean 4k game, the latency will be too long, what else?
For Netflix 4k, I think you could directly connect to your HD621.
A PC, Chromecast and future games consoles and future Amazon devices (sorry _M_) laugh .

Cheers
Tom

F80s, M60s
#271831 - 2018-01-14 15:11 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: AudioImages - Rick]
Meridian Partner
Pan-dimensional being

In the US (and maybe everywhere) The trade in promotion expires on April 30th 2018.

You must supply your serial number of your trade in unit so that everything processes correctly. Trade in units must be taken in by the dealer and returned to Meridian within 30 days after receipt of the UHD722.

Units will receive a $800.00 trade in value unless purchased after September of 2017 at which those units will receive full retail credit. As this will be a very popular promotion with a limited duration, it is encouraged that those who wish to take advantage of this promotion do so quickly.

Group buys or other incentives will vary by dealer...

www.cmbintegrations.com

Personal System #1 Theta Digital Cassablanca 4, 818v3, 218, DSP8000.2SE, DSP7200SEHC, Boston Acoustics Lynnfield 500L series 2, Monitor Audio Silver 10, ATI 200WX5 Amp, JVC RS15, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. QNAP TS-251 3TB
Personal System #2 F80.

#271832 - 2018-01-14 15:51 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: CMB Integrations - Bruce]
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker
_M_ Offline
Hitchhiker

will Meridian do a fire pit ceremony burning all of those HD621's in a ritual sacrifice to the gods that allow for them to fleece their most loyal supporters?

i'm starting to think they jacked up the price of the 722 with this promo trade-in. it's like having a "sale" whereby you mark up the regular prices only to barely discount them, if at all. grin cool

hurry up! time is running out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

edit: the pricing is clearly a direct function of the relatively inelastic demand for the 722 for those that currently have M processors; a gambit that could backfire.

#271837 - 2018-01-14 20:49 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: _M_]
JOE-C Offline
Hitchhiker
JOE-C Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: California, USA
I have owned the HD621 for 6 plus years and for M to offer me any kind of a trade in on it I feel is generous.

If someone purchased it within the last year they can get a full retail trade in that’s also very generous (regardless of the cost of the replacement product).

Not too many audio companies do that.

My M gear: 861v8 with ID41, 800v3, HD621, 8000.1(SEs),7200.1(SE),320s,3200s,5500s ,SW5500s ,MS200 (2nd zone),218.
Other: JVC RS-500 projector, Prismasonic HD-5000 anamorphic lens, Panasonic UB900, Oppo BDP-103D, QNAP TS-251 (M core and store).
#271838 - 2018-01-14 20:53 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: JOE-C]
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker

"Not too many audio company" sell a 1/2 2.0 HDMI switch for 2000£ ...

#271841 - 2018-01-14 21:17 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Sapiens]
Meridian Partner
Pan-dimensional being

That's right, and NO company sells one that does what the UHD722 will do with your Meridian system. Please keep in mind, the HD621 from the time it was introduced in 2008 until 2015 was $3000.00 MSRP.

Meridian is offering a $800.00 trade in credit for something that can be as much as 10 years old. That really isn't a bad deal for those who paid full retail. It is and even better deal for those who got them second hand and aren't losing that much on the the deal.

www.cmbintegrations.com

Personal System #2 F80.

#271844 - 2018-01-14 22:05 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: CMB Integrations - Bruce]
Jdb-si Offline
Paranoid android
Jdb-si Offline
Paranoid android

Loc: New Jersey, USA
What was the retail price of the HD621 last September?

Theater: G68, G98DH, DSP6k, DSP55kC, DSP55k, Plasma, Sooloos (Zone 2)
Living room: DSP5k, DSP5kC, G68, MC600 (Zone 1)
Bedroom: M80
office: SACD, DSP6k (Zone 3)
Storage: P350Ws, G55s, M33s, DSP33s, DSP5k, 501, 518, 561
#271845 - 2018-01-14 22:18 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Jdb-si]
Meridian Partner
Pan-dimensional being

It has been $2000.00 since 2015.

www.cmbintegrations.com

Personal System #2 F80.

#271848 - 2018-01-15 02:16 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: CMB Integrations - Bruce]
Akimo Offline
Hitchhiker
Akimo Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: San Jose, California, USA
Agreed that high-end audio video equipment (including Meridian's) is disproportionately expensive (high dev costs carried by few units sold).

On the other hand, Meridian, unlike the vast majority of other high-end companies offer upgrade paths for some of their products. As for me, I'm VERY happy that they do, even if the upgrade path sometimes hurts a little. At least it's there.

Living room: 818v3, Audio Research VS 110, Maggie 1.6, REL sub
A/V room: 861v8, DSP7200SE L/R/C, 4x DSP320 surrounds, ID41 + Roon, Prime+PS
#271849 - 2018-01-15 06:55 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Akimo]
Not'arf Offline
Not'arf Offline

Loc: Abruzzo, Italy
Also, unlike most high-end audio companies, Meridian makes some mainstream products (Explorer etc) & has its car-related business which will presumably give it another income stream.

Audio: MC200, G61R SL, HD621, DSP5500, 5000C, DSP3100. Subs: 2 x REL G2.
Video: JVC X70, Black Diamond Zero Edge screen 129"(2.35).

Meridian owner since 1998
#271869 - 2018-01-15 17:48 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Not'arf]
Mat Offline
Hitchhiker
Mat Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I’ve owned my HD621 for eight years and it cost me £1,000, so £63 for each year of faultless ownership were I to upgrade now. Not too shabby really.

Fujifilm and Leica are the only companies I can think of that squeeze longevity out of sold products like Meridian do. Meridian don’t always come up trumps on the development front, but their products have always been bombproof for me and incredible value too.

I appreciate not everyone will have this experience, but I would like to express my support where it’s due smile

Thanks,
Mat

Lounge: DSP7200SE, 218
Kitchen: F8O, MS200
Bedroom: DSP5000.1
#271871 - 2018-01-15 18:10 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Mat]
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker
Sapiens Offline
Hitchhiker

I didn't have this luck with my HD621, I had to change the board, it costed me couple of years ago more than what is Meridian offering for it ...

I still don't understand the use of this switch. I stream music, I stream TV (4K cable Box), I stream movies (Netflix and other paid providers) and I don't own a Bluray player (and never will). In what sense would I benefit from this UHD722? If you could help, maybe I am mistaken here.

#271872 - 2018-01-15 18:36 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Sapiens]
Meridian Partner
Pan-dimensional being

If you own a HD621 the basic switching functionalty is the same. The UHD722 will pass 4k HDR, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 which the HD621 will not.

www.cmbintegrations.com

Personal System #2 F80.

#271873 - 2018-01-15 18:48 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Sapiens]
Jaapaap Offline
Hitchhiker
Jaapaap Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Holmdel, NJ, USA
Sapiens, you are like me. Need some ARC functionality. I currently route the sound from my TV using ARC to my Oppo and then from the Oppo to my HD621. For me the UHD722 won’t offer much (other than looks) on top of this as the Oppo has two HDMI outputs.

various components
#271884 - 2018-01-16 13:13 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Mat]
QuantumBob Offline
Harmless
QuantumBob Offline
Harmless

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Have followed this thread with interest particularly Rick's ability to provide connectivity from Trinnov DB25 to DSP RJ45s. I'm afraid a new Trinnov / 271 solution is beyond my means at the mo.

Just felt I needed to add my thoughts to Mat's re ownership of M kit. Had my HD621 and the rest of the M kit for a number of years now and very happy with my Meridian system. Hadn't realised when I got Sky Q that 4k wouldn't go through the HD621 so I've been waiting for the UHD722 and am happy with the trade in offer. The 722 will do what I require for Sky Q 4k and Oppo 203 (when I pick one up from Rick). The 722 may be a bit pricey but it's bespoke M kit and with the trade-in it's good value (IMHO of course).

Only had one minor psu fault with a previous G61R but Rick sorted me out quickly with a replacement.

As Mat says this may not be everbody's views but I'm happy with it and more importantly my wife appreciates the whole setup as well!

Cheers
Bob

G61RSL, HD621, 5200s, 5200HC, 3200s, DSW, Sony 55X8509, Sky Q Silver, Oppo 105.
#271904 - 2018-01-16 19:15 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: QuantumBob]
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker
Anthony-Howard Offline
Hitchhiker

Now I may be being thicker than a whale omelette but what other sources do you have? Why can't you just route the Sky Q though the HDMI input on the Oppo 203 and use it's HDMI audio output into the HD621? At the worst case you might need an extra HDMI cable but surely you can find one for less than the £1500 UHD722 upgrade cost???

#271908 - 2018-01-16 20:56 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Anthony-Howard]
QuantumBob Offline
Harmless
QuantumBob Offline
Harmless

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Yes I fully realise that but didn't put it in the post...
I may have future 4k sources.
Just trying to be friendly with my post...

G61RSL, HD621, 5200s, 5200HC, 3200s, DSW, Sony 55X8509, Sky Q Silver, Oppo 105.
#271919 - 2018-01-17 04:41 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: QuantumBob]
Craig Offline
Hitchhiker
Craig Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hope Island, Australia
AU$3499 trade in value here until April 30th then it goes back up to AU$4999.

Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One S, Middle Atlantic Rack. Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

#271920 - 2018-01-17 06:01 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Craig]
Mr_Gimlet Offline
Hitchhiker
Mr_Gimlet Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By Craig
AU$3499 trade in value here until April 30th then it goes back up to AU$4999
Where did you see that @Craig?

Main system: 861v6, HD621, Oppo 103D, DSP8000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP3200, SGR Sub
Family room: Control:15, DSP5200
#271961 - 2018-01-18 01:54 Re: Meridian UHD722 Trade-up promotion announced [Re: Mr_Gimlet]
Craig Offline
Hitchhiker
Craig Offline
Hitchhiker

Loc: Hope Island, Australia
Mr Home Theatre in Melbourne

Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One S, Middle Atlantic Rack. Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
1 registered (Soundserge), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OneArtist, AndrewE, Obe, PaulRP0, Zetetic
4574 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 66
_M_ 50
CMB Integrations - Bruce 49
Ian 38
VirusKiller 36
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12230
Fiddler 8664
ncpl 8352
Carl 7563
Ian 7350
Forum Stats
4,574 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,340 Topics
250,179 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant