Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#260929 - 2017-03-05 09:49 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Loc: Colchester, Essex, UK
March 2017 and the first official Gig at the Little Rabbit Barn has come and gone already to a live music starved capacity house.
A lot of work in uncertain weather was done by the team to make it special but in the end, it's the fabulous artists who do that.
We can only provide the canvas on which they paint and perform leaving memories of wonderful nights of live music.
The evening was opened by Emma Ballantyne singing songs from her somebody's story project and fine EP 'Tourist'.

People contact Emma with stories and she writes them a song. Wow! what songs.
Emma played a lovely acoustic guitar accompaniment as she sang for us.
This was followed by a few songs on keyboard, "something new for this tour" she said. Emma participated in a song writing camp with Kim Richie, another Little Rabbit friend who we always go to see whenever we get the chance. She is keeping good company there.
They wrote 'The Flower Seller' which she played for us tonight and is as yet un-recorded. (Ahem) That was a great opening set, thank you Emma.

Next with a very rapid stage turnaround we have the first of double headliner set.
The final act (The Frankie Davies Band) were going to be a lot louder so Ben Glover and Colm McClean played first so we all could appreciate the nuances of their music.

Irish born Ben is now Nashville based and spends his time touring the world so we were blessed to have him come and visit the barn. He played songs old and new leaving us all spellbound.
Having written songs with Gretchen Peters (Blackbirds, the title track from her latest album) and Mary Gauthier Ben is in the top tier of contemporary Americana artists today.
His new album 'Immigrant' is a must listen. He found it ironic that he just received his Green Card before the recent political upheaval in the states. Immigration is close to the hearts of the Irish people, Something he has been writing about recently with Gretchen Peters.
Ben played a lovely song he wrote for his wife who hails from Mississippi called 'Mississippi Turns Blue'. "That's as romantic as I get" he exclaimed.
We were also treated to a brand new song 'Easy Grace'. He would love to give us all a percentage of the royalties from it as a thanks for the reception but, contrary to popular belief, there is little money in songwriting these days. Or is there?
Coco Cola did use one of his songs (Too Long gone) for an advert in South America and he did get paid as well even though he never got to see it or was able to find it.

His new single was released yesterday (Fall Apart) (Its on Tidal) with singer Natalie Schlabs. Colm had to play Natalie's part tonight. Not quite the same. It's a great song though.
In Nashville Ben is part of 'The Orphan Brigade' and they recorded an album (Soundtrack to a Ghost Story) in a haunted house. The ghost 'Harriet' likes the album, apparently, so she won't haunt you if you buy it. (Also available on Tidal)
We had many tales of his travels and he also got the great LRB choir in full voice.
That was an another amazing set we didn't want to end but time waits for no man and we had to fit in the curry break and Raffle. (Thanks to the Raffle girls)
Lyn with her team works so hard to make sure everyone is fed, accommodating special requirements too. She is also very successful at the task and deserves special praise as The Little Rabbit Barn would not exist without here tireless efforts.

So now the final headliner takes the stage, The Frankie Davies Band.

This all female outfit stormed the LRB with their opening number, their anthem we are told. This was followed by a song about Frankie's Nan and then one about her Dad (Superman).
Now her Mum is Jealous so she wrote one about the pair of them.

Frankie did a few solo numbers mid set which showed another side to her. She couldn't believe how attentive we at LRB are being used to playing venues where people just talk and ignore you. (They must be insane) It's making me nervous she says but she was loving it too. The glass of wine helped also. (Only one)
These girls can, and do, Rock. We had great songs amazing guitar/slide guitar/mandolin and bass. The drums were something else too.
All this culminated in the band playing their 'signature piece' a cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain'.

Words fail me in trying to convey the power and passion that was shown on stage.
It's hard to describe just how much fun artists of this Calibre are as they present their music. You just have to be there.

The witching hour came all too soon but The Frankie Davies Band want to come back and I don't think there will be much opposition to that idea.

As always the artist were happy to meet and greet after the show and this is a great chance to get to know them a little and have CD' signed etc. A time to come down from the adrenaline rush.

I'm not sure how we are going to follow this up, but we will try and looking at who's set to perform next I think places will be booked very quickly.

The better pictures are from LRB regular and all round great guy Andy Sheard

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-03-05 20:14. Edit Reason: Typo
#260951 - 2017-03-05 15:45 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

As per my recent visit to Rega to enjoy a concert by the marvellous Stephen Fearing and a quick tour of the inner Sanctom.

The issue with the mixer is this. The buttons don't Toggle (Human error) but you don't know which channels are live.

The fix, as LED's are not permitted, is a row of holes drilled into the desk so a matchstick will stand in. Like a cribbage score.

The mix desk is separate channels with the finest phono stages specifically designed for the task. All hand made and bespoke.

Those tape machines are all fully restored to the very highest standards. Getting the correct tape is an issue.

Beautifully British.

Chris

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall.
MC200 500GB, QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into 2 MS200's. Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2 and Mini. 596 v1.89.2, 518, G61R, M60.2 Rosewood, M33C, M33 Rears, M1500 Sub, Foxsat HD, Sony Blu Ray, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos.
#261388 - 2017-03-12 08:16 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

This is what I just love about The Little Rabbit Barn. I get to film this. A new song from The Frankie Davies Band. I Never Used To Cry.

The Frankie Davies Band Live at LRB

This is their Signiture cover of 'The Chain'

The Chain

Incredible live. Emily Linden on guitar played with Ward `Thomas at the O2 this weekend too.
Watch out for Laura on the drums trying to wreck our light rig at the end...... her face is a picture.
Jonathan has done a great mix, all we need is an MQA plugin....

Enjoy Chris and turn it up....

On a theme I'd though I'd put this here. Landslide, Honey Rider

Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-03-12 09:57. Edit Reason: Link added
#261587 - 2017-03-15 18:42 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

J just posted our latest video of Ben Glover with Colm McClean.
This is Blackbirds a song he wrote with Gretchen Peters which became the title to her last Album.

This is stunning to listen to.
Enjoy, Chris

P.S. The Emigrant another great song co written with Gretchen Peters and beautifully recorded at The Little Rabbit Barn.

Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-03-16 07:41. Edit Reason: Added link
#261779 - 2017-03-19 10:06 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

For completeness this is Emma Ballantine playing The Flower Seller. A song written during a song writing weekend with the great LRB friend Kim Richey.

The Flower Seller

And on guitar The Love I Share

Enjoy till the next time. RIP Chuck Berry

#261787 - 2017-03-19 10:51 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

The Gig list for the year is up on our website with artist profiles so if anyone would like attend there is all the information you will need.

LRB Gig Page

#262533 - 2017-04-01 21:01 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

I'll put this here, it's what real musicians do.

The Chorlton Country Club

Enjoy something for goosebumps without MQA but they didn't need MQA to creat this, they live MQA for real.

#262542 - 2017-04-02 06:35 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
LeeRankin Online content
Hitchhiker
LeeRankin Online content
Hitchhiker

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
very nice...

1. 568.1, M33c, Beolab 6000, Fujitsu Q520 HTPC (Kodi Jarvis), Samsung KS7000 55, Sony BluRay
2. AC200, DSP5200SL, Squeezebox Touch, Rega Planer 2, Ortofon red
3. Lenovo Thinkpad, Prime, Prime Power Supply, Explorer2, Sennheiser HD700 cans, Shure SE425 buds
#262652 - 2017-04-05 06:25 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: LeeRankin]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

This Just about says it all.

Chris

#262742 - 2017-04-06 19:08 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

A big moment, Danni Nichols just closed the Bob Harris radio show tonight. BBC Radio 2. Danni is a long time favourite of us at The Little Rabbit Barn. We saw her last night at St Pancras Old Church for her Album 'Live from Vintage TV' launch. Cup cakes included.
She is appearing next month with full band.

Had a nice chat with her mum too. Chris

#262836 - 2017-04-09 12:39 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

The sun shines on the righteous, or so they say. So, righteous or not, it shone for us at LRB today.
But not only did the sun shine, the music shone too despite the fact that Balsamo Deighton could not perform due to illness.
Steve and Rosalie were very disappointed to miss the last night of their UK tour and we would like to wish Rosalie Deighton a very speedy recovery.

Luckily Liv Austen with John on guitar were able to step into the breach at very short notice, traveling down from London after an afternoon gig.

We also enlisted Amy Westney to perform a short opening set for us where she told of her trips to Nashville and how she is getting ready to record her next disc there. Amy has been featured on BBC introducing as a voice of 2017 with her band FOX. She finished with a lovely rendition of her last single 'Numb'. Thank you Amy.

Amy Westney

Dahlia were next, this trio made up of Jess Roberts, Lisa Wright and Paris Georgia.
They opened with 'Jack Daniels' which set the tone nicely with audience hand clapping early on followed on by the aptly named 'Hell on Heels'......

What you have here are three powerful singers who's lead vocals ping from one to the other along with terrific harmonies that keep you enthralled and transfixed from the start. I especially enjoyed 'My Church' having heard it during soundcheck I knew it was going to be special in the show, and it was. Their set was over all too quickly and I know we will be hearing more from them in the future. A real talent to put on your 'Must See' list if you missed tonight.

Lyn and her team have triumphed again on the food front and as always the raffle provided some alternative entertainments for those lucky winners although there are no losers at LRB as just being in the room is win enough.

Kelly Sloan on her first LRB visit added to the growing number of Canadian artists we have come to know and enjoy. She was accompanied by Curtis Chaffey on Guitar.
They are touring the U.K. and Europe ending up in Italy but Kelly said that we at the LRB have set a high bar for hospitality and hopes all the gigs will be like this one. She lives in hope more than expectation.....
We had plenty of new songs including one about raccoons wrecking your house as they can do in Canada to a song about her love of older ways and things that we have lost over time. This led to some witty banter as a regular called out, if you like older things, you might like me....big laughs here....
That's the thing with live music, you never know what will happen next, it's just so much fun.
Kelly was very generously sponsored to do an album of covers by a fan and after considering the idea they decided to go with it but do the songs they really loved for the project released as 'Impressions' in 2017.
Luckily the sponsor was pleased with the result of their choices. So tonight we heard a few songs from the album, Donovan's hit Colours, Thirteen and the hauntingly beautiful 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'.

With a day off tomorrow they asked for ideas on what to do in London as Curtis has never been. The LRB audience were happy to offer up suggestions for a great day out but this is how you get distracted from the job at hand when amongst friends. On with the Music.......
Kelly has a beautiful voice and I know people in the audience were moved by it. But all too soon we were enjoying the encore for another unforgettable performance. That was again, excellent.
So now, with a quick stage turnaround it's time for Liv Austen with John on guitar.
They opened with 'Part time sweetheart' and then we were treated to a bunch of new songs. As well as songs from her latest EP 'Who am I today'.

Liv told of how Hannah Rose Platt was regaling the reputation of LRB for hospitality and a great attentive audience and so was pleased to play here even though it was a last minute gig. "I'm happy to be here but wished the circumstances that led to it had been different."
She says, "I don't make life easy writing songs with too many high notes and no room to breathe." "I had Radio 2 airplay with an unfinished song 'Train of thought' promoting the C2C festival." Which she played for us tonight.
Also Liv has had a song written for her by Ben from the Shires called 'Over'. It was great to hear it played live.

Now with Liv also on acoustic guitar we enjoyed 'The Guts He Always Had' from her first EP 'Workin' Man's Dream' and then something more rocky where we were invited to imagine a full band as they played 'Detour'. But a great song is a great song with or without the full band. Wow, we are out of time already but we had to have an encore to round off the evening. That was a stunning night of music that everyone enjoyed. Even the two ladies who flew in from Sweden especially to see Balsamo Deighton. They are real music fans and they had a lovely time anyway despite the unfortunate cancellation.

The sound tonight was expertly controlled by Simon Allen at a standard we have come to expect from the professional he is.
But special thanks must go to Amy Westney and Liv Austen with John for stepping up to the plate at very short notice. Their selfless cooperation ensured a full night of great music for everyone to enjoy.

Photo credits must go to LRB regular Andy Sheard

Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-04-10 20:17. Edit Reason: Pics added
#263031 - 2017-04-14 16:35 Re: Little Rabbit Barn 2017 [Re: ChrisLayerUK]
ChrisLayerUK Offline
ChrisLayerUK Offline

Abi Phillips is in Dahlia and not Lisa Wright. A typo too late for me to correct.

Added info I couldn't publish earlier.

Editor: Dahlia are also creating much interest within the industry. In the audience to watch Dahlia were two very high profile music industry persons. Neil Warnock, worldwide president and founder of UTA (United Talent Agency) with about the most impressive and diverse artist rosters that includes, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Meatloaf, Katie Melua, Status Quo…..and many more. Also Simon Porter, manager of Status Quo. Dahlia did just great under the scrutiny of such high profile musos not to mention the discerning LRB guests! We all wish them much success.

Chris

Edited by ChrisLayerUK; 2017-04-14 16:40. Edit Reason: Added
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 
Who's Online
8 registered (CMB Integrations - Bruce, Hector, Colin Triggs, Bill Colledge, Mike Jones, Chris G), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tro, OneArtist, AndrewE, Obe, PaulRP0
4575 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ratbert 60
CMB Integrations - Bruce 53
Ian 41
Carl 34
VirusKiller 33
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12231
Fiddler 8664
ncpl 8353
Carl 7563
Ian 7354
Forum Stats
4,575 Registered Members
17 Forums
24,344 Topics
250,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 211 @ 2015-05-05 14:40
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant