Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163191 - 2012-03-22 10:23 V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson
Consumer Offline
Mostly harmless

Loc: California, USA
I was doing some research on music and Meridian when I found a fascinating
article dated March 19, 2012 from CDC lifestyle.com so I decided to share it. grin Here's an excert from the article:

To coincide with the 2012 London Olympics, the V&A Museumís major Spring exhibition will showcase the best of British design and creative talent. ĎBritish Design 1948-2012: Innovation in the Modern Ageí, will highlight significant moments in the history of British Design. Drawing on the V&Aís unrivalled collections, the exhibition will document the best in British design and innovation from last 60 years.

Included in this prestigious event is the Lecson Audio system created by the co-founders of Meridian Audio, Britainís leading manufacturer of high-end audio and visual entertainment systems.

The Lecson Audio system was created in 1974, three years before Allen Boothroyd and Bob Stuart founded Meridian Audio. Still led by the two founders, the company has always been at the cutting edge of audio technology and design and continues to retain the philosophy that design should not only incorporate aesthetics but functionality too. To this end, beyond creating extraordinary sound, Meridian products have set new standards for elegant and iconic design
[. . .]
One of the most innovative products of the 1970s in any field, the Lecson reinvented the relationship between design and function. Before its release, hi-fi equipment was housed functionally. Regular grey boxes with knobs represented the height of artistic endeavour and the aesthetic of hi-fi products remained unchanged for many years, that is, until the Lecson. The Lecson did away with the monochrome, boxes and knobs. The power amp was housed not in a dull cube of metal, but in a ribbed cylinder which was not only striking to look at but designed to dissipate the necessary heat. The control unit was not simply a block of buttons but used a spectrum of coloured keyboard-like sliders making it both fantastically bold and incredibly intuitive. The Lecson had made the leap from something that was not merely acceptable as a piece of equipment, but also desirable as an objet díart. Selected in 1976 for the New York Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) permanent collection, it is this iconic piece for which Bob Stuart and Allen Boothroyd won the first of three British Design Council Awards in 1974, 1982 and 1988. Now sought after by collectors, it is thought that approximately 50 Lecson systems are still in existence and at auction they fetch over £1,000.00
[. . .]

V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson

I've highlighted in red what I found to be most interesting to me. smile Also, has any member here gone to the exhibit in New York or will be attending the V&A Museumís major Spring exhibition? I'd like to see some photos from both exhibits. I'm going to hunt for the Meridian items by going into the archives of the New York Museum of Moden Art. (This should be fun!) It seems to me if you have an old collection of Meridian products then they can turn into a collector's item. I love to collect antiques! I have a treasure trove of them in my home that are displayed in nooks and corners. They look absolutely fantastic!

#163192 - 2012-03-22 10:44 Re: V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson [Re: Consumer]
MI' Offline
Working on the ultimate question

Loc: United Kingdom
It does seem interesting

See this link

#163193 - 2012-03-22 10:50 Re: V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson [Re: MI']
Consumer Offline
Mostly harmless

Unfortunately, you didn't provide a link to the article which has a treasure trove of information. grin

Are you going to the V&A Museum? If do take some photos be sure to put beneath your photos if you place them on this website the words, "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED" then no one can steal them from you. grin There may be people who would like to use them in which case you may wish them to use your name and the link to this article for reference. smile

Edited by Consumer (2012-03-22 10:55)

#163194 - 2012-03-22 10:55 Re: V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson [Re: Consumer]
MI' Offline

#163196 - 2012-03-22 11:12 Re: V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson [Re: MI']
MI' Offline

Ah yes I certainly will be going, the V & A is my favourite UK museum.

I doubt anyone would want to use my photographs!

#163201 - 2012-03-22 11:31 Re: V&A host British Design 1948-2012 exhibition including Meridian Audio Lecson [Re: MI']
Consumer Offline
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted By: MI'

What's the point?

Moderator:  Carl, Duncs, Ludwig, ncpl, VirusKiller 
Who's Online
11 registered (JobSeeker, Parky43007, ncpl, Richard W, Colin Triggs, Albert), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nicholes, Steve Dobie, Rmg, Leo M., Craig J
3932 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Not'arf 93
Carl 84
VirusKiller 82
Ian 81
ChrisLayerUK 80
Top Posters
VirusKiller 10624
Fiddler 8202
ncpl 7033
Carl 5850
Ian 5832
Forum Stats
3932 Members
24 Forums
19887 Topics
206421 Posts

Max Online: 136 @ 2013-09-06 15:24

Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant