Meridian Unplugged - Powered by MrTechGuy.co.uk
Posted By: spinaltap AC200 USB - 2017-11-12 12:05
The AC200 has 2x USB ports. One is for maintenance.

The spec sheet describes the second USB thus:
A computer, using a USB cable terminated in a Type B plug, to use the AC200 as an external sound card’
The user manual states:
“If your PC provides a USB output: Connect the USB output to the Audio Core 200 USB input, using a USB cable terminated in a Type B plug. Select the USB input on the Audio Core 200”.
Currently, my SBT (EDO) connects to my Meridian Director via USB (then to my G95 via phono).

Am I correct in believing that I simply connect my SBT to the AC200 via USB alone?
Posted By: Ian Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-12 17:16
Not an answer to your question but Iirc that AC200 USB audio is the older synchronous USB audio that will not achieve the same quality as newer/current asynchronous mode. Iirc is is also limited in bit rate to 44.1/48k
Posted By: ChrisLayerUK Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-12 17:33
I just gleaned this from the data sheet.
Naturally, sound quality available from differing sources is subject to the design and capabilities of those products. However, all other things being equal, there is a “pecking order” for potential sound quality. Where available, it is best to use the Speakerlink connection. Next best is digital-coaxial. Optical and USB are a slight step down from this and Analogue connections should be used where they are the only option. Analogue should also be used if the digital outputs available are actually derived from an analogue signal within the source product.
Posted By: MJT5282 Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-13 15:09
The Mac USB installation guide shows configuring the Mac to use 192 kHz for the USB audio output ... I will test mine a little later with my RasPi3 to check.
Posted By: Ludwig Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-16 07:55
Originally Posted by MJT5282
The Mac USB installation guide shows configuring the Mac to use 192 kHz for the USB audio output
That's very interesting. If true, it might suggest they upgraded the USB input silently. Would have been useful to tell people, it might have made a different to people (including me) who didn't buy one because of this apparent lack.

Does 192 input mean that Asynchronous Mode would by default be possible? Or could it still not be?
Posted By: Simon Moore Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-24 12:23
I just recently obtained an AC200 + DSP3200, and tried setting it up on my Mac today. I can confirm the AC200 USB input is limited to 48/16, at least on firmware v1.04.

The link on the Meridian AC200 page points to the MAC USB Setup Instructions, but if you look very closely, the image for step 4 "Select the Output tab" shows the device is actually a Meridian USB Explorer.

Anyone know if there is newer firmware for an AC200? If not I may have one to sell...
Posted By: Carrart Re: AC200 USB - 2017-11-24 19:24
Mine is v1.1
© The Hitchhikers Guide To Meridian - Powered by MrTechGuy.co.uk